Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
      #46960 |

Will yoiu still hike if it’s raining. It looks like it might be rainy both Saturday and Sunday.

NH_Mtn_Hiker

I’d rather hike in the rain than hike in the black flies.

As far as Sept.11th goes, nothing short of two broken legs will stop me from putting a flag at the summit…ok, with one broken leg I may have to think it over. :flag:

TenPeaks

A few weeks ago I hiked 15 miles on the AT in Maine in the pouring rain to bag Saddleback and the Horn. About 4 of those miles were on an open ridge. If I can tolerate those conditions then I’ll have no problem raising a flag on a soggy summit.

Puck

I can handle the rain. I have a problem with lightning.

MichaelJ

I would be there rain or shine for Fot48. The fact that Garfield is my #47 is just additional incentive.

Lightning will get me down early, though.

MtnMagic

I’ll be there unless hurricane winds prevent me.

Saturday will be a great weather day to hike.

Saturday night will be even better for us to share our day!

So what’s the big deal?!
                :beer:

MtnMagic

Hope to see and meet 80 of you at the Mooseland Grill Saturday evening. We’ll be an hour late this year. See you at 7pm and we’ll stay long enough to meet the rest of you!

:flag:

smitty77

Nothing short of lightning could keep me off Madison.
                    That and winds over 100 mph.

Smitty

Greg

The remnants of Frances is expected to affect the area Thursday with upwards to 4″ of rain. Those backcountry camping/hiking on Friday (this includes me) should be aware of possible issues crossing streams and low-lying areas. Have a backup plan in place. We may have to change our route or car camp

HYDROLOGIC OUTLOOK

MEZ007>009-012>014-018>028-NHZ001>010-013-014-072000-HYDROLOGIC
                      OUTLOOKNATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE GRAY ME258 AM EDT TUE SEP 7 2004…FLOOD POTENTIAL
                      OUTLOOK…SIGNIFICANT RAINFALL IS POSSIBLE THIS WEEK…STARTING TUESDAY NIGHTAND
                      CONTINUING INTO FRIDAY.A COLD FRONT WILL PUSH SLOWLY TOWARD THE REGION WHILE THE
                      REMNANTS OFHURRICANE FRANCES MOVE NORTH ALONG THE FRONTAL BOUNDARY.THE
                      COMBINATION OF TROPICAL MOISTURE AND THE SLOW MOVING SYSTEM WILLBRING AN EXTENDED
                      PERIOD OF RAINFALL WITH THE POTENTIAL FOR HEAVYRAIN AT TIMES. THE BEST CHANCE FOR
                      HEAVY RAIN AT THIS TIME IS DURINGTHE DAY THURSDAY.IT IS STILL TOO EARLY TO
                      PREDICT RAINFALL AMOUNTS. HOWEVER RAINFALLAMOUNTS OF 2 TO 3 INCHES WITH LOCAL
                      AMOUNTS OVER 4 INCHES AREPOSSIBLE WITH THIS EVENT. THIS AMOUNT OF RAIN COULD
                      LEAD TO FLOODING…ESPECIALLY IF IT FALLS OVER A SHORT PERIOD OF TIME.FORTUNATELY
                      IT HAS BEEN DRY OVER THE PAST TWO WEEKS. PORTLAND HASHAD ONLY ABOUT A THIRD
                      OF AN INCH OF RAIN OVER THE LAST 16 DAYS.THIS MEANS IT WOULD TAKE MORE
                      RAINFALL TO CREATE A SATURATEDENVIRONMENT AND TO RAISE STREAM AND RIVER LEVELS TO THE
                      POINT OFCREATING A FLOOD SITUATION.CONTINUE TO LISTEN TO NOAA WEATHER
                      RADIO…OR YOUR LOCAL NEWSSTATION…OVER THE NEXT FEW DAYS TO MONITOR THIS SITUATION
                      FOR THEPOSSIBILITY THAT THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MAY ISSUE FLOOD
                      WATCHESFOR ALL OR PART OF THE AREA IF THE POTENTIAL FOR FLOODING BECOMESMORE
                      LIKELY.$$SJC

ada4001

The Isolation crew will still hike in the rain I’ve hiked alot in foul weather we will have a flag on the summit no matter what mother nature throws our way. :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag:

Outtabreath

At least 2 in our group are hiking no matter what. We have a graphite flag pole just in case of lighting!

MtnMagic

I’m still adding the estimate and will certainly let Dawn know on Thursday how many of us hungry and thirsty hikers will be at the Mooseland Grill Saturday night.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.