Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
      SilentCal

Thanks Jason, Every little bit help out!

hikethesummits
          Jayne

I have this event posted on my website as a hiking event, free of course.
            http://www.womensoutdooradventures.com/calendar.html and it was sent out via my monthly newsletter to my prespective client listing of over 265! I do what I can. Will be on Jackson this year.
            aka shortcake :flag:

tfr

I mentioned it on ADKHighpeaks, when a question about hiking a flag to ADK summits was raised.

wrentham98

WRENTHAM
                SCOUTS CARRY FLAG TO TOP – After training for several months, Boy Scouts from Wrentham’s Troop 131 climbed more than 5,000 feet to the summit of Mount Lafayette in New Hampshire last weekend, displaying an American flag in commemoration of those who lost their lives on Sept. 11, 2001. The Scouts were participating in the annual Flags on the 48 Memorial Hike in the White Mountains for the fifth time. In previous years they raised flags over Mount Tecumseh, Mount Hale, Middle Carter, and Mount Garfield. This year’s flag was sent to Wrentham’s Cub Scout Den 4 by members of the military in appreciation for a care package and cards of appreciation that they had received. The flag was dedicated to Den 4 while aboard a UH-60 Blackhawk helicopter being flown on an active combat mission in Afghanistan. “The troop did the Falling Waters/Old Bridle Path loop to complete three mountains, Little Haystack, Mount Lincoln, and finally Mount Lafayette,’’ said Scoutmaster Alan Plantamura. “There was a great sense of accomplishment for all that participated.’’ Making this year’s trek were Jacob Bruner, Benson Colella, James Richard, Jay Lukes, Jackson Hickey, Cameron Rankin, Dan White, Sean Pazurchek, Zach Jones, Matt Smith, P.J. Plantamura, Pat Zeller, Pat O’Rourke, Will O’Rourke, David Roman, Michael Plantamura, Brock Duvarney, Lee Slamin, C.J. Pierce and Steven Ketchum. – Michele Morgan Bolton

Team Davey

By Laura Schweizer/ correspondent
                  GateHouse News Service
                  Posted Sep 24, 2009 @ 11:31 AM

Chelmsford — As a patriotic act, tribute and display of sympathy for lives lost in the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, Chelmsford native Gregg Sullivan climbed 4,050 feet up Mount Jackson in New Hampshire. He was there as part of The Flags on the 48, a memorial hike to raise 48 American flags on the summits of New Hampshire’s highest peaks, all having an elevation of more than 4,000 feet.

Sullivan was looking for a memorable way to express his sorrow for victims and their families, some of whom he knew.

“Having left my athletic years far behind, the steep vertical ascent was more challenging for me than for the other hikers in my group, but the shared stories about 9-11, along with my own memories, fueled my determination to get to the top and not fall behind, even when others were picking up the pace,” he said.

The Flags on the 48 began as a grassroots effort on Sept. 15th, 2001, when six hikers climbed Mount Liberty and flew an American flag at the summit as a tribute to the victims of the attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon.

Now, each year, on or about Sept. 11, hikers ascend the 48 mountains, aiming to arrive at the summit by noon. From noon until 2 p.m., the flags are flown. From some vantage points, multiple flags are visible along a ridge dotted with big peaks .

Hikers sign up for the mountain they want to climb on the web site http://www.flagsonthe48.org. Up to ten hikers can sign up for each peak. To lead a group as a peak coordinator requires being the first person to sign up for a particular peak. Peak coordinators are responsible for leading the group of hikers, disseminating information, coordinating meeting times, locations, supplying the flag and necessary rigging. Three peaks — Cannon, Washington and Wildcat — are transportation accessible and designated for non-hikers.

Sullivan was one of 13 to participate in the eight-hour round trip hike up Mount Jackson. According to Sullivan, it didn’t take long for the hikers to bond, having a shared sense of purpose. This feeling of camaraderie among hikers is described by Mount Jackson’s peak coordinator, David Cormier of Nashua, N.H. in his trip report. “We reached the summit; you could almost feel everyone’s heart pounding with both exhaustion and patriotic spirit in anticipation of our tribute to fallen heroes of 9-11. Feeling the enormity of the remembrance of what was lost, we assembled and raised our American flag in honor the thousands of men, woman and children that perished that day. Cormier then hung a list of names of 9-11 victims on the flagpole.

Sullivan said, “On the way down, I slowed my pace and looked forward to the side trails to catch the views. It was such an exhilarating experience; I did not feel like hurrying to get to the bottom. I just did not want it to end too quickly.”

http://www.wickedlocal.com/chelmsford/news/x1699594375/Chelmsford-native-takes-part-in-high-flying-tribute

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • The forum ‘2009 Publicity & Media Watch’ is closed to new topics and replies.