Forums Flags on the 48 Information General Discussion Planning meeting notes

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
      #47513 |

This years planning meeting was a little different from the planning meetings of years past. Previous years meetings focus on creating the event sign-in system and the structure of the event itself. This year, we worked on the some small tweaks the system that will hopefully be help us down the road.

Topics of discussion:

1: The Pre-registrations of years past are no more. Pre registration will still be allowed for non hikers who wish to use alternate means for their summit stay. This means Cannon, Washington and Wildcat D are the only peaks that you can pre-register for. After August 1st, those peaks will open up for regular hikers.

2. The idea of a hiker “counter” was brought up. This would be attached to the “peaks” page and allow for everyone to see just how many persons have signed up for the event. I have since spoken with Chris and he mentioned this should not be to difficult to do.

Sidenote: Chris is the man behind the curtain of the Flags website. He does one heck of a great job and we’d be lost without him. :flag:

3. Start-up of signups was discussed and announced to be July 9th at 6:00 pm. There was some positive feedback on moving the start time to an evening hour. The event dates are planned out until 2015.

4. Two of the Steering Committee members have decided to step down this past year. That leaves us with six members. Chris, Frodo, MichealJ, Jaytrek57, dirt girl and myself. We may add another member after the event.

5. Since it rained again during the planning meeting, we discussed creating a foul weather policy for the event. The wording will be in place for the event but the gist of it will be that we do not want anyone risking their safety to participate. This will be clarfied by in time for the event.

6. Dirt girl recent touch ups of the Q + A, press release and event history were discussed.

7. Jaytrek was supposed to speak to the campground for the our stay in September. Any word on that?

That’s about all I can remember off the top of my head. Any more?

Thanks to everyone that came. Thanks to Gary for the use of his screenhouse and McRat for the bottomless barrel of jokes.

Jaytrek57

My motion to move the event to Sunday Sept 9 this year b/c of the Jimmy Buffett show was shot down!! 😉 Just kidding folks!

All set with KOA.

Peace.

troop37

Hi,

I’m Greg from Troop 37 in Worcester, MA, a 1989 A.T. thru-hiker, and have climbed about a third of the 48 peaks. My wife, also a thru-hiker has climbed them all. Well, we’re trying to get a new generation into hiking the Whites. My son and I were inspired by a boy scout troop who placed a flag on Zealand last year as we were enjoying lunch. We will be signing up for a peak this year and will probably bring about 10 scouts to do the hike. Thanks for holding such a meaningful event! These notes give some helpful background and I think your system of signing up for the peaks is very fair and straightforward. Looking forward to September.

Greg

SilentCal

Welcome aboard!

Signup’s start tonight at 6:00 pm sharp. Always nice to see the scouts involved. Hope you guys really enjoy the experience. :flag:

troop37

Your signup worked flawlessly, thanks! I meant to list Troop 37 as additional hikers, but I guess it’s clear enough in the peaks list. We’re very excited to participate in this event that evokes many different emotions. I think the other scouts will have the same feelings of pride as my son and I did when we first saw the flags on the peaks last year. This is a rememberance that doesn’t require lots of words or explanations about how we feel, so that probably will be just the right speed for a bunch of adolescents. Thanks again,

Greg Root

Chris

@SilentCal wrote:

2. The idea of a hiker “counter” was brought up. This would be attached to the “peaks” page and allow for everyone to see just how many persons have signed up for the event. I have since spoken with Chris and he mentioned this should not be to difficult to do.

The “participant counter” has proven to be a little tough to do accurately, only because some registrations are for “X and Y Johnson” which is two people but one registration. Same issue with the Scouts, if they sign up as Troop 123 then we have no idea how many people are actually participating. I will look into posting a “peaks covered” number and possibly a “peaks fully covered” (all ten spots filled) number as well.

SilentCal

I figured once I saw the mass groupings of hikers that the counter function would be not be too accurate. Next year, we can have something in the signup that deals with groups and how many hikers in the group. If it’s too tricky to do now, then no problem, there is always next year.

I would like to see though a total peaks covered counter.

Chris

@SilentCal wrote:

I would like to see though a total peaks covered counter.

This is done and is now showing up at the bottom of the Peaks page.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.