Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
      #64209 |

The trip up is approx. 2350 feet of elevation gain over approx. 3.1 miles and overall book time comes in just under 3 hours, it is a beautiful trail though. Gibbs Falls on the way up (or down) is worth a visit if it is flowing. Parking is over by the Highland Center Depot or at the parking area off Clinton Rd, parking sometimes can be a challenge and if full you can park further up closer to the trail to Jackson and walk down the road. It can get windy up above so dress accordingly.

We will meet at the Mitzpah Cutoff, this is the split to the Mitzpah Hut to the final climb up the Pierce on Webster Cliff Trail. Nice spot to meet as it allows folks to hike up at their own pace and enjoy the journey. Plan on meeting there at say 10:15 and we can do the final hike up together. I’m easy to see, 6 footish, Osprey Pack, will have sign on pack and an old wool / felt brim hat.

I have a flag pole set-up that has flown on a few peaks. It is pretty light weight and easy to assemble (PVC with metal inner). About 12-15 feet and handles a 3×5 flag well. I struggle with knots to tie things down though as my hands don’t work as well anymore on small things, so knot tying skills are a big help.

Anything you think that would be of use is welcome from snacks (folks love home cooked snacks) to carrying part of the pole the final way. Even smaller flags to put around the cairns up top is a nice touch. It is an event where everyone can jump in and lend a hand.

Drop a note, or text, of anything you can think of. I look forward to seeing everyone.

Craig

Craig Heinselman
      cheinselman@gmail.com
      Cell 603-831-8740

phagan_55

Hi, route plan looks great. I like the meetup point and time to allow folks to filter in at their own pace, then finish as a group.

I haven’t done Peirce before, so it will be nice to see something new.

I also have a rig based off of a collapsible plot setup from Amazon, with additional guylines and support, as well as a 4×6 flag, which has flown on Jefferson and Tecumseh. More than happy to bring each if a backup is wanted. If not needed, equally happy to lug up snacks, drinks, etc.

My son and I will be coming up from CT, so an early morning and long drive. I may have another person or two with as well.

If there’s any support or logistics or anything I can help with, please don’t hesitate to ask. I’ll check this forum, and I can be reached via email at phagan55@gmail.com, or by phone/text at 860-315-4081.

-Padraic

cheinselman

Hello Padraic

An extra flag setup actually would be good, we can raise both to represent the towers. I like that idea.

Craig

phagan_55

Craig,

Great, I will dust off the rig and get it ready to go.

Fingers crossed for good weather.

Best,
            Padraic

belgian

I have agreed to bring a snack. Looks like 5 of us plus a bit extra just in case? Anyone have any suggestions/allergies? Also was thinking of bringing individually packaged things figuring people would be more comfortable with that given the Covid situation?

jguptill

Hi! We are looking forward to the hike. There will be 3 of us coming. We are pretty easy to spot. Iā€™m 6ā€™ 5ā€ redhead with a beard. We will bring some snacks and supplies to make hot cocoa. I am happy to help with the knots as well (Boy Scout training ļŠ). Tyler, Mark & Jill

cheinselman

Thank you to everyone for the jumping in to get things done. I look forward to seeing everyone on Saturday. From the snacks, to the knots and even another pole we are in great shape.

Weather looks to be holding too, but remember we will be above treeline in September so it can get chilly up there.

See everyone then.

Craig Heinselman
                  cheinselman@gmail.com
                  603-831-8740

jguptill

Hi, we forgot to answer belgian’s question about food allergies and snack suggestions. The three of us do not have any food allergies. We picked up some individual packs of almonds and cashews and some individually wrapped protein bars (also contain nuts). And, as Ty mentioned earlier, we’ll be bringing hot cocoa and tea. I saw some suggestions on other sites for individually packaged cheez-its and that kind of thing (not too heavy to carry, which is always good šŸ™‚
                    Looking forward to Saturday!
                    Jill, Mark & Tyler

Mtnchik76

We will be the crew with the kids. All but one have already hiked Pierce and 2 did flags last year on Garfield….oh that wind!! Very excited crew with 2 scouts and a den leader ready to the knots!! We will have snacks too!

Shannon

belgian

We will also be easy to spot. 2 women with a cattle dog and Jack Russell. Bringing snacks and willing to help with knots or whatever.

Kelli and Sue

phagan_55

Hi, I’ll be in a faded green Cabela’s hat with a black/woodland camo pack (with a flagpole sticking out!), and I’ll be with my 9yr old son.

Look forward to meeting up!

-Padraic

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.