Steve HParticipantAugust 10, 2016 at 2:53 pmPost count: 11
Greetings to the crew for Passaconaway. My signup was confirmed at 6:03 PM on 8/8/16, but my name doesn’t show on the list. Please send me an email to keep me in the loop.
What trail will we be taking?JustJoeParticipantAugust 11, 2016 at 7:39 pmPost count: 46
This is another shout-out to the peak coordinator for Passaconaway. I’ve been doing this for several years but was unable to grab my own peak do to lack of service where I was. I have a complete rig and so if you don’t, got you covered. This link shows what I have and can bring. I do plan on bringing my “Never Forget” flag.
Looking forward to it. I do plan on bringing my “Never Forget” flag.Steve HParticipantAugust 12, 2016 at 7:19 pmPost count: 11
JustJoe, that’s great that you already have a complete rig. You’ve also got an impressive history of past Flags on the 48 events. Let’s hope our honored leader contacts his troops soon so we can plan. I’m hoping that we pursue the peak by Oliverian Brook Trail and Passaconaway Cutoff. That will allow for camping the night before at Passaconaway Campground (also named for the chief).Wd48August 16, 2016 at 11:08 pmPost count: 9
Flags on the 48 – Mount Passaconaway
Sept 11th, 2016 – Sunrise 6:21 AM, Sunset 7:05 PM
Meet @ the Oliverian Brook trail head off of the Kanc at 8:15 AM. We will leave for the hike at ~ 8:30 AM and climb the Oliverian Brook trail to the Passaconaway Cut Off to Square Ledge to Walden trails arriving by 11:45AM, raise the flag by noontime and fly it until 2 PM. There is a 0.6 mi. rt and 200 ft.gain for a side trip to the spectacular north outlook. Leave the Mt Passaconaway summit shortly after 2:00 PM, returning via Walden, Square Ledge, Passaconaway Cut Off and Oliverian Brook arriving back to the trail head at approximately 5PM
10.2 miles RT, 2,800 feet elevation gain and 6:30 hours book time (excludes Flag flying time & north outlook)
JustJoe, Please bring your rigging. Thanks, Mark WilliamsonSteve HParticipantAugust 16, 2016 at 11:15 pmPost count: 11
Thanks for the update and the trail route. I expect to camp out at Passaconay USFS Campground the night before. Anyone else up for getting together the night before, perhaps for a campsite dinner? – SteveJustJoeParticipantAugust 18, 2016 at 12:09 pmPost count: 46Steve HParticipantSeptember 7, 2016 at 12:44 pmPost count: 11
Looking forward to this hike on Sunday. I’ll be camping at the nearby Passaconaway WMNF Campground on Saturday evening. Feel free to drop by our campfire. It will be the campsite with the silver Ford FLEX.KB1EHIParticipantSeptember 8, 2016 at 8:19 amPost count: 12
Nicolai and I are considering coming in from the south. We will still plan to be on Passaconaway by Noon, and probably head over to Whiteface afterward. I will let you know either way by FridayKB1EHIParticipantSeptember 9, 2016 at 10:01 pmPost count: 12JustJoeParticipantSeptember 10, 2016 at 11:00 amPost count: 46
I have some concerns about the weather for tomorrow. Right up until the time we need to take the flags down, there’s up to a 70% chance of heavy rain. 8-9 hours being soaked to the bone is very possible. These are the numbers I’m getting off AMC online guide for the suggested route.
Distance 10.00 mi
Time 6 hr 38 min
Elev Gain +3264 ft
Elev Loss -3264 ft
Elev Change 0 ft
Passaconaway Cut-Off after the junction with the Square Ledge Tr. will probably be a stream if the rain is heavy in the AM as forecast. Footing will be poor as it’s steep and rocky after that point.
I’m considering leaving my big rig at home and just bringing a small american flag and my “Never Forget” flag to place on the summit. That way if it’s really bad, we can head down quickly and or before 2 if it is really nasty. But the peak will at least be covered for some period of time.
Some input from the Peak Coordinator and others on this team is important at this point.
Thoughts people?Wd48September 10, 2016 at 12:50 pmPost count: 9
Below is the current forecast as or 7:54AM today from NOAA out of Gray Maine. The number one goal of this hike is safety for everyone followed by raising the flag in memory of 9/11. At a minimum I think we should meet tomorrow morning as planned and assess as a team the path forward. I’ll monitor the forecast through the day and repost an update later this afternoon. I am concerned from a communications stand point that we are now splitting the approach amongst the team.
“Showers and thunderstorms likely before 1pm, then a chance of showers between 1pm and 2pm. Some of the storms could produce gusty winds and heavy rain. Cloudy through mid morning, then gradual clearing, with a high near 73. Breezy, with a west wind 15 to 20 mph increasing to 20 to 25 mph in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New rainfall amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms.”JustJoeParticipantSeptember 10, 2016 at 1:46 pmPost count: 46
I’ll be there with my rig and as you said, we can make a decision at the trail-head as what course to take.
See all in the AM.
P.S. Don’t forget to bring an extra set of dry clothes. 8)Steve HParticipantSeptember 10, 2016 at 2:20 pmPost count: 11
Can you bring them both (both rigs)? I’ll have extra guys with me. BTW, we’re camping at Passaconaway campground tonight. Look for Ford FLEX.Wd48September 10, 2016 at 8:13 pmPost count: 9
Hi All, Latest forecast (3:54 PM) out of Gray ME for Mt Passaconaway.
Again, let’s meet at the Oliverian Trail head by 8:30 to talk through the approach. Potentially delay a bit then make a quick pace to get set up by noontime. Thanks, Mark
“Showers and thunderstorms likely before 11am, then a chance of showers between 11am and 2pm. Some of the storms could produce heavy rain. Areas of fog before 9am. Otherwise, cloudy through mid morning, then gradual clearing, with a high near 75. Breezy, with a southwest wind 5 to 10 mph increasing to 15 to 20 mph in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 35 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New precipitation amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms.”
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.