Forums 2011 Flags on the 48 2011 Trip Reports Owl’s Head

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
      #48022 |

Thank you to the great Owl’s Head 2011 crew; especially Chris and Mark for leading us through the wild, untracked forest.

Tommy Murphy

NeoAkela

Thanks, Tom! The Flag was hung proudly at the “New” summit. There were many visitors besides our 6-person crew, too – must have been a record amount of people on Owl’s Head at the same time! We even met 3 gentlemen who lost their brothers on 9/11. They had been hiking a peak every September 11th for the last 5 years, but had no idea about the Fot48 event! It was an emotional surprise for them. Great day, and we could see the flags on Liberty, Lincoln, and Lafayette from the top of the slide! I’ll up some photos tonight when I get off of work. Thanks everyone for a great day!

– Chris

tfr

@NeoAkela wrote:

Thanks, Tom! The Flag was hung proudly at the “New” summit. There were many visitors besides our 6-person crew, too – must have been a record amount of people on Owl’s Head at the same time! We even met 3 gentlemen who lost their brothers on 9/11. They had been hiking a peak every September 11th for the last 5 years, but had no idea about the Fot48 event! It was an emotional surprise for them. Great day, and we could see the flags on Liberty, Lincoln, and Lafayette from the top of the slide! I’ll up some photos tonight when I get off of work. Thanks everyone for a great day!

– Chris

We looked for your flag, but could not see it.

NeoAkela

@tfr wrote:

You couldn’t have seen it from West Bond, as it was down below the canopy – we didn’t have a massive 100-foot pole to hoist it above all the trees! Maybe next year! 🙂

Paradox

@NeoAkela wrote:

@tfr wrote:

Did you go to the true summit? We hung the flag at about 11:50 AM – only passed one couple on the way up who were coming down – was that you? It wasn’t noon yet at that point – I think it was about 11:40. Lots of folks came up while we were there…. later, going down, we only passed a single gentleman hiking alone on his way up, so if you are a “we”, I don’t know where you went, but it wasn’t to the summit.

TFR and I were on the summit of West Bond. We used Tom’s (TFR) binoculars and the 24x zoom on my camera but did not find your flag. What size was your flag?

Tom Murphy

hahahaha, a flag was brought but no flag pole

NeoAkela

I noticed that TFR was on West Bond after my original reply – I edited it before seeing your reply! Our flag was hung from the trees on the summit, as we had nothing to hoist it high enough to clear the canopy.

Sorry for the confusing series of replies – I originally thought you were a hiker on Owl’s Head who did not see the flag! We had some hardware to raise the flag, but realized it was not long enough to reach above the trees, so we opted to hang it above the summit cairn instead. Hope that clears everything up!! 😀

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • The forum ‘2011 Trip Reports’ is closed to new topics and replies.