Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
      #48438 |

I haven’t heard anything from our peak coordinator yet, so I figured I’d post some information.
      It looks like the Mt Osceola Trail is the only way up, so planning the route should be relatively easy. Its a 3.2 miles up with a book time of 2 hours, 40 minutes.
      For our peak coordinator: I have a 24 foot flagpole with working halyard that breaks down into six 4-foot sections (shown in the picture below). It is relatively easy to lash to a pack (much easier than some of the other poles I’ve seen). I hiked this pole to the peak of Mt Isolation last year, however I plan to carry my 13 month old son on my back this year, so I won’t be able to carry the pole. I would be more than happy to bring the pole and distribute the sections as needed to our group. I also have a flag that I flew and carried in Iraq in 2003 that I would like to fly, at least briefly. This flag was also flown on my previous FOT48 hikes.
      Please let me know if there’s anything else I can do to help. I look forward to hearing from and meeting everybody else.
      [attachment=0:2zxe6n55]group.jpg[/attachment:2zxe6n55]

Josh King

Rachael and Brian Boggia, will you be hiking Mt Liberty or Mt Osceola? You are both signed up for both peaks. Rachael, you are listed as the Peak Coordinator for Mt Osceola.

Josh King

Ok, we’re 10 days out from the hike and an official plan has not been posted, so I’m going to go ahead and post my plan:
          I will be at the Mt Osceola Trail parking area on Tripoli Rd around 8:15AM. My plan is to start hiking at 8:30AM. I expect it to take roughly 3 hours to get to the peak, leaving plenty of time to get set up to raise the flag by noon. I have a 24 foot flag pole that I will be bringing to the parking area. It breaks down into six sections and, if used, I will need volunteers to carry the sections. Last year, I carried the entire pole myself to the peak of Mt Isolation. This year, I will have my son on my back and my pack weight with him is already just over 36 pounds, so carrying the pole is out of the question for me. I will be carrying my personal flag from Iraq that has also flow at previous FoT48 events.
          For everyone else participating in this peak, please post here and introduce yourself, give additional input, or simply let me know if you can assist in carrying the flagpole. I look forward to meeting everyone and helping to make this 15th Anniversary of 9/11 a worthy memorial.

rboggia1

Hi Everyone,

I am the peak coordinator. I apologize for the delay as I was having trouble with my account and logging in to view these messages. That sounds great, myself, Sarah and Brian Boggia plan to meet you and everyone at 8:15am at the Mt. Osceola Trail parking area on Tripoli Rd at 8:15AM on this Sunday 9/11. We can all help to carry the poles- thanks for bringing them. Sounds great about your flag and if anyone has any special flags feel free to bring them as we can bring more than one up. If anyone cannot meet at 8:15am we plan to be at the summit from noon to 2pm so meet you up there!

Looking forward to hiking with everyone and honoring our country.
            -Rachael Boggia

christinebcook

I am responding for myself, Christine Cook and my friend Cathy Strople. We will both be there tomorrow morning at the designated time and place. We are happy to help carry.
              This is our first Flags on the 48, but certainly not our first 4,000. Please let me know how big the item will be that we will carry so we can plan our backpacks accordingly.
              Thank you so much. We are really looking forward to being a part of this day.

christinebcook

I’m a little nervous about confusing the meeting spot. There are a couple on the webiste. I’m coming from Concord via 93N. I’m assuming it is the Tripoli Road in Livermore. Can someone confirm?

Mount Osceola Driving Directions Top
                There are 2 different parking lots you can park at for these hikes (refer to map above).

The parking lot to hike both Osceola mountains (via the shorter hike) is located on the Kancamagus Highway (Route 112) in Lincoln, New Hampshire.

From I-93, take exit 32 and follow the Kancamagus Highway (Route 112) for 9.7 miles East. The parking lot will be on the right hand side of the road, just after Big Rock Campground.

From Route 16 in Conway, New Hampshire, follow the Kancamagus Highway (Route 112) West for 26 miles. The parking lot will be on the left hand side of the road, just after the Hancock Overlook turn.

The parking lot to hike both Osceola mountains (via the longer hike) is located on Tripoli Road in Livermore, New Hampshire. From I-93 take exit 31, and head East off the exit onto Tripoli Road. Follow for 7 miles. The parking area is located on the left hand side of the road.

The parking lot to hike just East Osceola Mountain (via the shorter hike) is located on Tripoli Road in Livermore, New Hampshire. From I-93 take exit 31, and head East off the exit onto Tripoli Road. Follow for 7 miles. The parking area is located on the left hand side of the road.

rboggia1

Thanks everyone for coming out yesterday to hike Mt. Osceola, great hike! A special thank you to Josh King for bringing the poles and flag. If you did not already see it, Phil Bilodeau put together the below article, check it out! God Bless the USA!

http://www.eagletribune.com/gallery/slideshow-flags-on-the-hike/collection_4560d5f8-78df-11e6-883c-6be89273aa1f.html

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.