Forums Flags on the 48 Information General Discussion Non 4,000′ peaks?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
      #47879 |

I understand that this event is for the 48 4,000’+ peaks in NH. Has anyone ever done smaller peaks? How do people feel about that?

I haven’t hiked that many 4,000 footers, the drive is too long for me for a comfortable one day trip most of the time. My main hiking area is Monadnock and since I just heard about this 2 weeks ago and know that I can do Monadnock and have the flag up by noon I’m going to be doing that peak. Also, some friends who have never hiked the Whites before but have hiked Monadnock are going with me (they aren’t big hikers and do not go out by themselves).

The thing is our little group really doesn’t have much experience in hiking the bigger peaks (yet) so I’m thinking that while Monadnock isn’t a 4,000 footer it would be nice to also have a flag on this peak, especially since it is so heavily hiked (the event will receive lots of exposure to other hikers if the weather is nice). I mean, the main idea is to remember and honor those who died, right?

Rich :flag:

Frodo

I love your suggestion on getting a group to bring a flag up Monadnock. We have had other peaks supported in the past like, Katahdin, Marcy, and Mt. Major.

Like you said, it’s all about the remembrance…

RichNH

Four of us hauled 2 small oak saplings up, lashed them together and raised the flag at noon. It stayed up until two. There were hundreds of hikers there. Next year I need to print off this site’s home page and have it placed on the flag pole so that more people learn of this effort. [/img]

ahecht

I saw you and the flag up on the peak today — it was a very touching tribute. What perfect weather!

P1030343 by ahecht, on Flickr

P1030347 by ahecht, on Flickr

P1030348 by ahecht, on Flickr

P1030351 by ahecht, on Flickr

RichNH

The 4 of us…
              Kevin, Cheryl, myself and Memo. We were honored to participate.
              http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/4200/p1040111i.jpg

alstaubin

That looks great. I was with the group on Eisenhower. I’m glad you had a good time and I don’t think its so much the height of the Mt but the purpose that it is being done for.

ken

>>Non 4,000′ peaks?<<
                  this is not a “Non 4,000′ peak” but it was done – Mount Marcy New York 5344′ a 15 mile round trip.
                  i started doing it on 9-11 back in 2003 (i also started my first Flags On The 48 in 2003).
                  Mount Marcy, NY pictures are on page 6 (just after Zealand) in the photo galleries…

LenDawg

This is fantastic!!!

RichNH

I’ll be doing Monadnock again this year, same flag, same poles, probably the same people! 🙂

pedxing

There was a good sized group doing Clay on Sunday. It was great to see them and their flag.

SilentCal

I am responsible for Mt. Clay. Orginally, with the Road Closures due to Hurricane Irene, the Hancocks were not going to be done because the Kanc was closed. I moved the North Hancock group to Mt. Clay because I figured “Why tell a group ready to flag a peak that they now can not go anywhere”. So I gave them a choice and they took Clay. When the Kanc surprisingly opened the day before the event, the group split up and covered BOTH peaks. Awesome job.

tfr

@SilentCal wrote:

I am responsible for Mt. Clay. Orginally, with the Road Closures due to Hurricane Irene, the Hancocks were not going to be done because the Kanc was closed. I moved the North Hancock group to Mt. Clay because I figured “Why tell a group ready to flag a peak that they now can not go anywhere”. So I gave them a choice and they took Clay. When the Kanc surprisingly opened the day before the event, the group split up and covered BOTH peaks. Awesome job.

Flags on the 49! 😀

SilentCal

honestly , with other peaks that I know were covered, it was more like Flags on the 56. Anything over 48 is a bonus as far as I am concerned.

tfr

@SilentCal wrote:

honestly , with other peaks that I know were covered, it was more like Flags on the 56. Anything over 48 is a bonus as far as I am concerned.

Flags on the 67?

100?

115?

Frodo

When we first began to organize what was to become the Flags on the 48 in Sept 01, we had deep discusions on going with the Flags on the 50 (Clay would have been included, along with Little Haystack or Guyot). BUT, we ended up going with what White Mountain hikers know so well….

None of this matters anyway, this event was started to have the people in the hiking community get together to have a memorial for all of the innocent people who perished that day. It’s not about what peaks have flags, or if they are covered or not, it is about all of us hikers bonding together for a few hours and letting the world know that we CARE, and we THINK and REFLECT about all of those people who died just by going to work on that sunny September day…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.