Forums 2022 Flags on the 48 2022 Trips & Routes Mt Zealand

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
      #65663 |

Hi all,

If you are new to this group of hikers (10 years of FO48), welcome!

We plan to head up Zealand starting from the end of Zealand Road. We will ascend via Zealand Trail to Twinway/Appalachian Trail to the Summit. Total one way distance is about 5.5 miles and approximately 2220 feet of elevation gain. Starting at about mile 3, steeps will begin in earnest, but we’ll be rewarded with views from Zeacliff. Our goal is to hang a smaller flag on the viewless summit and potentially raise the main flag on Zeacliff. One of us, likely me because it is on my to do list, will need to raise the small flag at the summit and descend from there. Our plans may change dependent upon the weather. It would be perfect if everyone could be boot ready at Zealand Trailhead by 7:45AM. We intend to be at the flag raise location no later than 11:30AM to get the flag flying by noon.

For the newbies – we hike with 2 10′ 3″ PVC “poles” as our flagpole. You should expect to spend some time carrying the pole up or down. We will also distribute other gear among the group.

Cell phone communication will be limited once you get onto 302. If your arrival is delayed, it would be helpful to let me know before your signal is lost. We will not wait for stragglers, unless we know you are minutes away.

If you need to reach me you can use the e-mail system here, or e-mail me directly at mrkgallant@yahoo.com or my cell phone at 978 764-6493.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.