Forums 2011 Flags on the 48 2011 Trip Reports Mt. Osceola

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
      #48036 |

Great day for a hike to the summit of Mt. Osceola! Started at 0830 and the slowest guy, me made the summit to find the Flag Pole up and secured. The team decide to wait for me to do the honors and raise the flags. We had well over 50 visitors on the summit! The Reverend Bill spoke words of comfort, memories of past flags events and then we enjoyed talking with lots of hikers about the flags event, their personal stories and the Wounded Warrior Organization.

The NH Air National Guard in a Blackhawk approached the Osceola summit from across the valley flying directly over head and looped around flying across the front of the summit. What a great feeling!

Shortly before lowering the flags a request to sing God Bless America was posed by an interested hiker and her family. The flags team joined and we sang, other hikers sitting around stood up approached and join in. What a wonderful day on the mountain top. What a wonderful event.

2011 Mt. Osceola
      2010 Flume
      2009 Garfield
      2008 Mt. Kinsman
      2007 Knee Surgery
      2006 Middle Carter

FosterDogSummit

I was privileged to see the flag that was raised on Mt. Osceola on Sunday. My thanks to the group who carried it there in tribute to those who were lost on 9/11.

I recently began a volunteer venture where I hike with dogs who are in foster homes and blog about the experience as a way to bring more exposure to them and help find them homes. My hiking companion on Sunday to the summit of Mt. Osceola was a dog named Bowie. I recently completed his report and posted it on the blog along with information about Flags on the 48 and links to a number of photos of the flag and the NH National Guard flyover that you are welcome to download and use for your project.

Thank you again for this wonderful tribute. Here is a link to the blog post with further links to the photo album in the post. If you would like anything higher resolution than what is available for download in the album, please e-mail me at fosterdogsummit@gmail.com

http://www.fosterdogsummit.com/2011/09/four-paws-four-thousand-feet-for-home.html

LM

HikerTomUp

Send me an e-mail to hikertomup@verizon.net and I’ll add you to my list

bobandgeri

Here is link to a video a friend put together from their hike to the Osceola’s including footage of the helecopter fly by.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCf7Q5jQgIU

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • The forum ‘2011 Trip Reports’ is closed to new topics and replies.