Forums 2019 Flags on the 48 2019 Trips & Routes Mt Liberty

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
      #64027 |

Hello all,

Here is the plan for the hike on Mt Liberty. It will be a 1 day hike on the day of the event, 8/14.

So far, we seem to have a group of at least 10-15 confirmed hikers for the day, which is fantastic. Right now, I know we have two groups hiking (a church group and a group from a local NH police department) and another group (a scout troop from Mass.) that will be joining us on the summit if not joining us for the hike as well. We also have a few folks that are solo that will be joining in as well, which is awesome! The more, the merrier.

Right now, the route plan is to do the Flume Slide/Liberty Spring trail loop, which is a total of about 10 miles. We will be meeting at the trail head in the upper most parking lot at the Flume Visitor Center off of I-93. If you don’t know where that is, let me know. If you are planning to hike the route with the group, please try to be to the trail head between 7:00 and 7:30 am that way we can be sure to be on the trail no later that. (I am probably being a little gracious with the amount of time allotted, but it’s better to have extra time and find out we don’t need it than the other way around.)

The plan is to start on the Flume Slide trail and follow that up to the summit of Mt Flume (might as well bag it if we can). The hike up is moderate until we get to just below the summit, where it gets pretty steep and will be fairly slick if it’s wet that day. Once we reach the top of Flume, it is a fairly easy walk to Liberty.

The goal for the hike is to have a flag erected on the summit of Liberty from 12:00 noon to 2:00 pm. With this route plan, we shouldn’t have too much trouble making that so long as we keep a steady pace. Please plan on having lunch at the peak so that we don’t have to stop on the way up (kind of a no brainer). Right now, I am providing the equipment for one flag/pole to be flown. Please feel free to fly a flag if you like – again, the more the merrier. If you need help with ideas for poles or need supplies, let me know and I will see what I can do to help out. If you don’t, feel free to hop in with someone in setting their’s up.

We should plan to have the flag up for the full time unless it is otherwise unsafe or unwise to do so. The summit of Liberty is fairly exposed, so just a friendly reminder to plan to be in the elements for a few hours while stationary.

The hike down looks pretty moderate, so I don’t think that we will have too much trouble on the back side of the day.

In regards to water, we will have some access to spots of filtration both up and down, but not near the summit. I will have a filter available if needed, so not everyone needs to bring one if they don’t want to.

I have confirmed that we have several folks along that have an intermediate level of first aid training and first aid kits, so we should hopefully be able to resolve any minor bumps and scratches without too much trouble. We can do a quick emergency action plan in case we have any bigger issues while up there. In the case that we have to get off the mountain in a hurry, there are no other routes out other than the route we will be hiking, aside from some access to the highway sooner than the parking lot. Lastly, in regards to this stuff, if you have any medical concerns about the day, please don’t hesitate to let me know.

I have attached a couple maps of the trail for your reference (one fairly standard, the other a TOPO with accented contours). Please don’t hesitate to print one off and bring it with you.

If I missed anything, or if you have any thoughts, comments, questions, or concerns, please don’t think twice about getting in touch with me. Emails, phone calls, texts, FB messages, messages through the FOT48 website — whatever means is convenient works great for me! My contact info will be listed below.

Thank you, and looking forward to seeing you all on 8/14!

Matt Dustin – Peak Coordinator for Mt Liberty
      603-978-1303
      matgyver15.sak@gmail.com

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.