Forums 2020 Flags on the 48 2020 Trips & Routes Mt. Carrigain

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
      #64204 |

Greeting to the Mt Carriagain team for Flags on the 48 2020! I look forward to climbing Mt. Carrigain with all of you to honor the memory of the victims of the 9/11 terrorist attacks. We will have a first time 4000′ summit hiker with us, and a NH 48 4000′ foot finisher as part of the group. I have a flag that was flown on a combat mission in Afghanistan, and a pole setup. If you have flags that you would like to fly you are welcome to bring them as well. This is my sixth year of participating in Flags on the 48, and my fifth year as a peak coordinator.

The hike plan I have is Carrigan Summit from Sawyer River Road via Signal Ridge Trail; 5.0 miles, 3250 ft., 4:10 by the book. We should be there at 11:30 to allow set up time. I like to plan conservative so I am planning on hitting the trail at 7:00. Expected wind on the summit will determine the number of pole sections we will haul up to the summit. Each section weighs just under two pounds, and there won’t be enough to go around even if we bring them all.

If you have not been part of this event before I will give you this piece of advice. We will be spending at least two hours on the summit while the flag is flying for the memorial. Depending on the weather you will want to have cloths that will keep you warm when you are sitting around during that time frame. Most of us are well equipped for hiking but don’t gennerally spend hours sitting around on a summit.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.