Forums 2016 Flags on the 48 2016 Trips & Routes Mount Pierce

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
      #48422 |

Fellow Hikers,

Another year we continue to remember and memorialize our 9/11 heroes by flying our American flags on all the highest peaks in New Hampshire….

This year we have chosen Mt. Pierce to hike and raise the flag on Sunday September 11, 2016. Mt. Pierce is part of the Presidential Range and its summit is at 4,310 feet. Its summit is open and offers 360 degree views of the New Hampshire Mountains including Mount Washington. The trail head is located on Mount Clinton Road off Route 302 in Carroll, New Hampshire. I hope everyone can make it; this will be a fun hike!

Below is information about the hike, where we can meet and directions to the trail head.

The hike up Mount Pierce via the Crawford Path Trail is 3.2 miles, and has an elevation gain of 2,450 feet and will take us approximately 3.0 hours to get to the summit. The AMC guide book describes it as a Moderate/Difficult hike. The summit is exposed and can be very windy. I would recommend you bring an extra top to change into at the top, warm clothes, food and water. The whole hike should take us 8 hours; 3 up, 2 hours flying the flag, 3 hours back down. Please plan accordingly.

As in the past we will be meeting at the McDonald’s in Lincoln NH, on route 112, exit 32 off route 93. We should plan on meeting there at 6:30 and leaving for the trail head around 6:50. It should take us around an hour to get to the trail head off of route 302. I know some of you plan on meeting at the 99 restaurant in Nashua to car pool to McDonald’s. Figure about 1.5 hour drive from Nashua to McDonald’s.

If you plan on going directly to the trail head – here are directions to the Crawford Connector trail head located on Mount Clinton Road off Route 302 in Carroll, New Hampshire.
      Take route 93 north through Franconia Notch Parkway (Cannon mtn.)
      Take exit 35, route 3N for approx. 10-12 miles to Twin Mountain Route 302.
      Take a right at the junction of Route 3 and Route 302
      Follow Route 302 East for 8.0 miles.
      Turn left onto Mount Clinton Road into a parking lot.
      The Crawford Connector Trail begins at the far end of the parking lot (to the right of the toilets).

I will have further info and updates that I will send out as we get closer to the date. If you have questions don’t hesitate to call or send me a note.
      Dave

Team Davey

Hi Folk,

Last update for the Flags on the 48 hike to Mount Pierce. Weather looks good, with a chance of showers or thunder storms in the morning. Plan on packing some rain gear. Could be a little windy at the top.

Also, Sean McDonald from WMUR TV News out of Manchester NH call me and asked if he could tag along on our hike. It appears that he will be doing a feature report on our 9/11 Memorial Hike and has chosen Mount Pierce. He might have a camera crew with him so wear your best hiking outfit :flag:

See you all on Sunday. Any question please call on send a note.
        dacormier8789@gmail.com

Sherpa Tom

Just checking, what weather report are you reading?

Sherpa Tom
          Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.