Forums 2018 Flags on the 48 2018 Trips and Routes Middle Tripyramid

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
      #63030 |

Fellow Hikers,

Another year we continue to remember and honor our 9/11 heroes by flying American flags on all the highest peaks in New Hampshire….

This year we have chosen Middle Tripyramid Mountain to hike and raise our flag on Saturday September 8, 2018. Middle Tripyramid is located in the Sandwich Wilderness area (between Waterville Valley and The Kanc Highway) its summit elevation is at 4,140 feet. The summit has nice views of Mount Tecumseh and Waterville Valley.

Below is information about the hike, where we can meet and directions to the trail head. (Note; other hiking options below)

The hike up Middle Tripyramid via the Sabbaday Brook Trail and Mount Tripyramid trail is 5.2 miles and has an elevation gain of 2,800 feet and should take us approximately 4 hours to get to the summit.

The AMC guide book describes the trails as easy to moderate with good footing. Please note: the Sabbaday Brook trail has numerous brook crossing some of which might be difficult in high waters. A good idea would to pack some type of water shoes.

The summit is exposed and can be very windy. I would recommend you bring an extra top to change into at the top, warm clothes, food and water. The whole hike should take us 9.5 hours; 4 up, 2 hours flying the flag, 3.5 hours back down. Please plan accordingly.

As in the past we will be meeting at the McDonald’s in Lincoln NH, on route 112, exit 32 off route 93. We should plan on meeting there at 6:45 and leaving for the trail head around 7:00. It should take us 30 minutes (20 miles) to get to the Sabbaday trail head on the Kancamagus HW (route 112).

If you plan on going directly to the trailhead; The Sabbaday brook trail is located on the Kancamagus Highway (route 112). If you are coming from the West (Lincoln), the parking area is located about 20 miles east of the junction I-93 and Route 112/Kanc, trailhead is on the right hand side. If you are coming from the east (Conway), the trailhead is located about 15.5 miles on the left hand side.

Other Hiking Option!
      If you want to bag North Tripyramid because it’s another 4,000 foot peak; at the junction of Sabbaday Brook and Tripyramid trails you can take a right towards North Tripyramid. Its .5 mile; then you can double back to Middle Tripyramid. The distance between North and Middle Tripyramid is .7 miles.

There is also a loop option were you can take the Pine Bend Brook trail off the Kanc (1 mile from Sabbaday) This will take you over both North and Middle peak and you can hike out on the Sabbaday trial. (Or you can do this in reverse). Someone can drop-off or pick you up between trail heads.

This should be a fun hike. It will be great to see everyone again and all new hikers are welcome. I will have further info and updates that I will send out as we get closer to the date. If you have questions don’t hesitate to call or send me a note.

Happy Hiking.

Dave

Team Davey

Middle Tripyramid Hikers,

It looks like a great day for our Flags on the 48 memorial hike to Middle Tripyramid. No rain, cool temps.

No change in plans – We’ll be meeting at McDonalds in Lincoln at 6:45. We should be at the Sabbaday Brook trailhead at 7:30 and starting our hike around 8:00.

Happy Hiking

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.