Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
      #64234 |

Fellow Hikers,

Another year we continue to remember and honor our 9/11 heroes by flying American flags on all the highest peaks in New Hampshire….

This year we have chosen Mount Liberty to hike and raise our flag on Saturday September 12, 2020. Mount Liberty is located in the Franconia range overlooking Franconia notch. Its summit elevation is at 4,459 feet and is well above treeline; offering 360-degree views.

Below is information about the hike, where we can meet and directions to the Liberty Spring trailhead.

The hike up Mount Liberty via Whitehouse trail -> Liberty Spring -> Franconia Ridge trail is 3.2 miles and has an elevation gain of 3,050 feet and should take us approximately 3.5 hours to get to the summit.

The AMC guide book describes the trails as rather steeply at times with some moderately rough footing.

The summit is exposed and can be very windy. I would recommend you bring an extra top to change into at the top, warm clothes, food and water. The whole hike should take us 8.5 hours; 3.5 up, 2 hours flying the flag, 3.0 hours back down. Please plan accordingly.

As in the past we will be meeting at the McDonald’s in Lincoln NH, on route 112, exit 32 off route 93. We should plan on meeting there at 7:00 and leaving for the trailhead around 7:20. It should take us 12 minutes (7 miles) to get to the Liberty Springs trailhead. The trailhead is located on US 3, just north of the Flume Visitor Center.

If you plan on going directly to the trailhead; Take I-93 north in NH to Franconia Notch and take the exit 34A for the Flume Visitor Center. The trailhead parking is just north of the visitor center on the right.

It’s been a crazy year; I hope everyone is safe and healthy. It will be great to see everyone again – and all new hikers are welcome. I will have further info and updates that I will send out as we get closer to the date. If you have questions don’t hesitate to call or send me a note. I will have the same flagpole and our American flag that we have used since 2006.

Happy safe hiking.

Dave
      dacormier8789@gmail.com

2003–Hale, 2006-Osceola, 2007-Moosilauke, 2008-North Twin, 2009-Jackson, 2010-Willey, 2011-Garfield, 2012-South Twin, 2013-South Kingsman, 2014-Jefferson, 2015-Carrigain, 2016-Pierce, 2017-Flume, 2018-Middle Tripyramid, 2019-Eisenhower,2020-Liberty.

polewog

I am looking forward to the hike. This will be my 3rd time doing Flags on the 48. The first one I stumbled onto it. I was bagging the Hancocks and ran into some people on their way up but I was too early and couldn’t wait around to take part so I hustled down the mountain and grabbed the tram up to Cannon to see what it was all about. In 2017 I did Isolation and at the same time I finished my 48. In 2018 I didn’t finish the hike. I was slated to do Bondcliff. I got to within a couple of miles of the summit and turned around because I had forgotten how long of a hike it was and the group I was with was going to overnight at Guyot and I didn’t feel comfortable hiking out alone when it might get dark, even with a headlamp so I turnaround. Last year I did Garfield, that was wild. I was one of the first ones on the summit and arrived to a sleet storm. The flag flew for only about 10 minutes before the set up failed. The flag ended up flapping by one corner and was in danger of being blown away so we all decided to head down as we were getting really cold. I am hoping for better weather this year.

I will see you bright and early. I will meet you at the trail head.

Paul

Team Davey

Great Paul, looking forward to having you join the Liberty crew this year.

Dave

polewog

I have the upcoming week off so I am hoping to do a refresher hike this week. I am looking forward to the hike. The weather looks a whole lot better than last year.

polewog

I did the hike yesterday, as a refresher, it was tougher than I remembered and I it took about 4 hours for me. I am considering starting early so that I am not an anchor for the group. It was a gorgeous day up there and I had plenty of company so I am anticipating the same for Saturday.

Bring enough water as the spring at Liberty Springs tent site was dry yesterday so you can’t count on a re-fill there and that is the only possible place to re-fill except for the stream close to the start.

Paul

• This reply was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by polewog. Reason: I left something out
              Team Davey

Hi Paul,
                Thanks for your note. Please consider hiking with the rest of the group. We have all levels of hikers and I’m sure you’ll find a group at your level. No worries – we’re happy to have you onboard.

Dave

polewog

Dave,

I have re-thought my approach. The idea of starting alone has lost its appeal and I will help bring up the rear. My concern was slowing the group down. I will meet you at the trailhead.

Paul

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.