Forums 2006 Flags on the 48 2006 Trip Reports Lafayette

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
      #47445 |

Our group gathered and left the parking lot around 7:15 for our journey up the falling waters trail. We made good time and were on top of little haystack around 9:45 or so. After grabbing some food and adding some layers we began the ridgeline traverse over to Lincoln and Lafayette. The wind was moving on the ridge and the hazy limited visability but we were still able to see most of the presi range.

We made it over to Lafayette around 11:30 on the summit we met up with a group (Sorry I forgot your names) that came up from greenleaf to help with the raising. Then we started figuring out to secure the flagpole. Thankfully JayTrek had done this for a few years and had the perfect spot all mapped out. With lots and rope and a few well placed rock climbing nuts we had that flag ready for a small hurricane. Around 11:45 we had the flag raising ceremony.

From the summit we were able to see flags on Lincoln, Flume, Liberty, South Twin, Garfield, Bondcliff, West Bond, and Owl’s Head. It was quite an amazing display.

Everything was going good till the rain and hail started coming down around 1:30 so we decided to take the flag down early and take cover before the lighting arrived. After reaching the Greenleaf Hut the sun came out and clouds retreated. Then right as we reached the cars the skies opened up again something fierce.

All in all it was a great trip and it was nice to meet JayTrek and everyone else that I ran into on the trail. This was my first flags on the 48 trip and I hope that I will be able to do this in years to come.

Some pictures have been posted up on the forum website and there are more here Also if you want any of the picture feel free to email me at amberlin[at]gmail[dot]com

MtnMagic

I enjoyed reading your trip report and viewing your pix very much. Nice of Jaytrek to help out, aye?! Glad you made made it your cars before it started pouring. (Our group had to endure it for 2 hours, but good fellowship overcame all obstacles.) Sounds like you enjoyed yourselves and we hope to see you on a mtn for next year’s event. If you can’t camp, please stop by the campground to say “hi!”

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      • The forum ‘2006 Trip Reports’ is closed to new topics and replies.