Forums Flags on the 48 Information General Discussion Good Hikes For Kids

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
      #47650 |

Me and son and daughter hiked Tecumseh last weekend and Moriah yesterday. We are planning on hiking Waumbek and Cannon before the FOT48. Any suggestions on trails that do not have much ledge that might be good hikes to take my daughter up. Im hoping to have five peaks off her list by the end of the summer, and cant think of the fifth. My son will have 24-30 peaks hiked by that point. The peaks my son has, at this point hiked are:
      Tom
      Hale
      Field
      Willey
      Eisenhower
      Monroe
      Madison
      Washington
      Jefferson
      Moriah
      Tecumseh
      Flume
      Liberty
      North Kinsman
      West Bond
      Bond
      Zealand
      Moosaluke

I was thinking Pierce or Jackson for the FOT48. Suggestions?

SilentCal

I don’t think you can go wrong with either of those peaks. If your daughter did Moriah and you are planning on Cannon, then I don’t believe she would have much trouble with either Pierce or Jackson. If it’s a nice day, you should be able to see some other flags from either peak as well.

Dirt

You should see our team’s flag on Willey from either Jackson or Pierce. I think the views from either would be fantastic, and the hike up Jackson by Jackson-Webster trail I found a bit more difficult than Crawford Path up to Pierce. You should also see a few more flags from up there, Eisenhower, Monroe, maybe Field or Tom.

sno_gabe

How does Crawford Path to Pierce compare to Carter-Moriah? If anyone remembers how wet early Saturday was, the ledges on Carter-Moriah were pretty slick. Trail descriptions never do trails any justice. If I knew how much verticle ledge there was, I would have only done it with my son.

I was also wondering how the hike up the Osceolas is coming from WTVL Valley

Thank You for your imput.

Dirt

I think crawford path may be more manageable if wet weather were to hit. carter-moriah wasn’t too bad, but I believe there were a couple tricky spots. We didn’t have any trouble with it a couple years ago, but the weather was dry. I know crawford path was fairly moderate the whole way. try http://home.earthlink.net/~ellozy/ for some great route summaries. Hope this helps.

DiamondRidge

@sno_gabe wrote:

How does Crawford Path to Pierce compare to Carter-Moriah? If anyone remembers how wet early Saturday was, the ledges on Carter-Moriah were pretty slick. Trail descriptions never do trails any justice. If I knew how much verticle ledge there was, I would have only done it with my son.

I was also wondering how the hike up the Osceolas is coming from WTVL Valley

Thank You for your imput.

Osceolas are not bad coming from Waterville Valley via Mt.Osceola trail. Do the main summit first then head to East and back – the trail down from East to Greely Ponds is dicey in the best of weather. Osceola is quite rocky most of the way up and presents a challenge to my little hiker (she’s 4) because its constantly requiring her to be lifting her feet above her knees for nearly every step – which gets tiring for anyone, especially a 4 year old…but my 8 year old did fine on Osceola, and the teens that I work with practically ran up it… So I guess it really depends on how old/big your munchkins are. Great views though!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.