Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
      #47945 |

Folks,

We’ll be taking the Garfield trail to Garfield Ridge trail to the summit. As in the past there should be a big crowd so please sign up soon.

I’ll update with meeting place, car pools, trail conditions etc….

Dave

Team Davey

Mt. Garfield via the Garfield trail and Garfield ridge trail:

The hike up Mount Garfield (4,500′) via the Garfield trail and Garfield Ridge trail is described in the AMC guide as an easy to moderate hike except for the short steep pitch on the Garfield Ridge trial just below the summit. Mount Garfield is an open rocky summit with great views and can be exposed to dangerous winds in bad weather. The hike up is 5.0 miles with an elevation gain of about 3,000 feet and it will take us approximately 4 hours to reach the summit. Please be prepared for a number of brook crossings along the way. We would meet around 7:45 at the Garfield trail-head (parking lot) located on the Gale River Loop road off of US 3, past Franconia Notch. Also, keep in mind that the hike up and down plus 2 hours flying the flag will take us approximately 10 hours – we should get back to the tail head around 6 PM. Please plan accordingly. This should be a nice hike and you will be able to hike at your own pace.

As in the past, our plan is to meet 7 AM Sunday morning at the McDonald’s parking lot in Lincoln and drive to the trail head together. If you want to drive to the trail head directly that’s fine I’ve included directions below. Also, as in the past a number of you have car pooled from the 99 parking lot in Nashua. Maybe someone can organized that. It takes about an hour and 45 minutes to Lincoln form Nashua. Keep in mine we have to start our hike from the trail-head at 8 AM to get to the summit by noon – please plan accordingly.

Please remember to pack warm clothes for the summit, water, snacks and lunch. I will have the flag and poles. Any questions please send me an e-mail or give me a call.

McDonald’s parking lot (far end) 7 AM:

McDonald’s parking lot, Lincoln NH, Rt 112, 7:00 AM, Sunday Sept. 11.
        Exit 32 off 93 North, Left at end of ramp – McDonalds is on your right.
        From there we will drive to the Garfield trail head off of Gale River Road.
        (35 minutes) Please keep in mind we need to leave McDonalds at 7:10 sharp
        so if you want to get coffee arrive earlier.

Garfield Trail Head directions: Gale River Loop Rd road – 7:45 AM

Route 93 North through Franconia Notch Parkway past Cannon Mountain.
        Once you go by Cannon and Echo Lake on your left – take exit 35; Route 3 North,
        Look for Gale River Loop road on your right. Avoid a right fork (?) follow road
        1.2 miles then swing left and cross a bridge to parking lot on right. This is a loop
        road so there will be two rights off on US 3. If you get to Haystack Road you’ve
        gone to far.

If you get lost you can try my cell number, 603.305.7921 or Brian’s at 603.289.5374.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      • The forum ‘2011 Trips & Routes’ is closed to new topics and replies.