Forums 2004 FOT48 Information Archive 2004 Planning Meeting FOT48 Planning Get-together Date II

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
      #46828 |

Okay. Let’s pin this down. This poll will run for 7 days.

SilentCal

Either date will be at Hancock Campground. Is this correct? If so, Is anyone interested in doing the Hancocks the next day?

Stephen

@SilentCal wrote:

Either date will be at Hancock Campground. Is this correct? If so, Is anyone interested in doing the Hancocks the next day?

Yup, I will. But you better give me a head start, I’m a slow paced- “in the rear with the gear” kinda hiker.

-T

MtnMagic

Sky, Ghostdog and I would like to climb them.
            Maybe it will be clear blue skies at the summit this time.
            Love those 5 brook crossings and in general, the hike itself.

MichaelJ

I’d love to climb the Hancocks the day after. Count me in!

SilentCal

The8re, the Hancocks are not too tough. The first mile and a half are fairly level along a woods road. The Cedar Brook Trail has many brook crossings which may slow us all down if the water is high. The tough stuff comes about three and a half miles into the hike. As long as the weather is good, I’m sure we will be able have a great time.

MtnMagic

I’ve tried before in May to cross those wild rapids on the North Fork. Pretty much the toughest crossing I’ve ever tried. (I can see the story in the papers now, “Hikers Swept Away by Strong Current”)

Little River — don’t let the name fool you! — up to the Twins, and Lincoln Brook to Owl’s head in the Pemi immediately come to mind as tough crossings during mid May. And of course the Dry River in The Presie Wilderness Range mid-May is taboo. It should have been named, Raging River of Certain Death!

Hope we can do the Hancocks at the end of June when all water levels return to normalicy!

smitty77

I voted for the 26th, though I’m not sure if I’ll be able to make it. We’ll see as the date gets closer. Would be a good trip to take the family car camping.

Smitty

Stephen
                      MichaelJ

What’s amusing is that I think the advice is a 50-50 balance of clockwise vs. counter-clockwise. 😀

Of course, the butt-sliding down is not something we’ll be able to factor in for June or even May…

MtnMagic

I’ve always done them clockwise. Just the way it happened. Would be willing to do it differently. Hope to see some views for a change.

SilentCal

I’ve always done it clockwise. One of these days I’m going to take a left at that little gully beyond the north fork branch and go and check out the Arrow Slide. Plus I’d love to know where that brook goes that just disappears off to the right in that same gully.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                          • The topic ‘FOT48 Planning Get-together Date II’ is closed to new replies.