Forums Flags on the 48 Information General Discussion Flags Web Site

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
      #46757 |

All right everyone. I suppose it’s time to get going with this. I updated the Web site at:

http://flags.alpinezone.com/

Please take a look and post any comments or recommendations in this thread. In particular look at:

• The Mission Statement. I modified last year’s slightly. Let me know if it will suffice.
      • The Q&A – additional suggestions are welcome.
      • Links page – any others?

Any other comments regarding the Web site are also welcome in this thread.

SilentCal

On the Q & A section, the date needs to be changed. It has last year’s date that the event was held on. It should be the 13th and not the 14th.

Stephen

I realized I sent this via PM, but I wanted to post it here so you don’t get it more than once….

For publicity measures, you may want to include a history in the Q&A on how this got started/happened last year. I’ve been asked that a couple times now and don’t really have the answer (as may be evidenced by my September 4 Joined date.

-T

Greg

Thanks guys. I’m off to the Cape for a couple days of needed relaxation with the family. I’ll tackle these items when I return.

Greg

@SilentCal wrote:

On the Q & A section, the date needs to be changed. It has last year’s date that the event was held on. It should be the 13th and not the 14th.

All set here. Thanks!

@the8re wrote:

I realized I sent this via PM, but I wanted to post it here so you don’t get it more than once….

For publicity measures, you may want to include a history in the Q&A on how this got started/happened last year. I’ve been asked that a couple times now and don’t really have the answer (as may be evidenced by my September 4 Joined date.

-T

Any thoughts on some text here? Frodo. How ’bout you? You seem to be pretty eloquent… 😉

Frodo

I finally sat down and wrote something. It is a little long for the Q/A, but it is the history of the event. Comments and suggestions are welcome…

The “Flags on the 48” event was established because of a horrific terrorist attack that took place on Sept. 11, 2001.

On Sept. 14th, 2001, several regular posters on the AMC websites’ Hiker Journal Forum banded together and planned a following day hike up Mt Liberty with the biggest flag the could acquire…

On Sept. 15th, 2001, 6 hikers met at the “White House” Trailhead armed with a 96 sq ft American flag, 30 feet of pvc tubing, 100 feet of rope, 2 rolls of duct tape, and a mountainful of pride and determination. At noon the flag was raised on the summit of Mt. Liberty in a tribute to all of the 3000+ innocent people who perished a few days earlier. A small gesture for such a gigantic loss…

The patriotic gesture received a tremendous amount of positive feedback, and a few weeks later a committee formed to establish a larger memorial for the one year anniversary, hence, the Flags on the 48 was born….

On Sept. 14th, 2002, several hundred patriotic compassionate souls embarked on a journey to raise flags on all of the summits of the 48 4,000+ foot mountains in NH. Still just a small gesture for such an incredible loss, but the feedback from all of the participants was overwhelming…

On Sept. 13th, 2003, we will be continuing this memorial to unite the hiking community in a show of support to all of the families and communities who suffered tragic losses that day, and to all of of the people who have died serving this great country to preserve our freedom.

On every mountain top, let freedom ring…

Greg

I like it. If there aren’t any objections, I’ll create a “History” page with this text and link to it from the Q&A. Thoughts?

Stephen

This rocks, go for it!

SilentCal

Great Job Frodo!! Does anyone have images from the orginal event in mt. Liberty, that would be kinda nice to add to the image gallery.

Greg

@SilentCal wrote:

Does anyone have images from the orginal event in mt. Liberty

Greg

Lemme know what you think:

http://flags.alpinezone.com/history.htm

pedxing

I think the history statement is great! I have one tiny suggestion. Instead of “3000+” innocent people who died – I’d put “thousands of” for several reasons:

1) “Thousands” is what we knew at the time.
                            2) “Thousands” reads better – and carries more power.
                            3) 3000+ isn’t really any more exact.

Greg

@pedxing wrote:

I think the history statement is great! I have one tiny suggestion. Instead of “3000+” innocent people who died – I’d put “thousands of” for several reasons:

1) “Thousands” is what we knew at the time.
                              2) “Thousands” reads better – and carries more power.
                              3) 3000+ isn’t really any more exact.

Agreed. i made the change.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                            • The topic ‘Flags Web Site’ is closed to new replies.