Forums Flags on the 48 Information General Discussion Flags on the 48 – 2003???

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author

I am willing to help out in any way i can. I’m not that great with Excel but i could probaly figure out how to work it. I can help with the sign-ups this way and assist in discussions on other websites. I could also e-mail all the people who signed up last year and see if they would like to do this again. I do have one recomendation. Last year’s mission statement was perfect but i think we should add a little something honoring veterans of all wars for their sacrafices in allowing us to do this. P.S. I’d like Carrigain

Frodo

I will most certainly be participating with my soon to be 9 year old daughter. Horrific events that happen to this country need all of the memorialization they can get. We can become so complacent….

Count me in for helping out with the promotional role.

pedxing

I agree with Cal about the suitability of last year’s statement for 2002 and the value of rethinking it for 2003. I’m not sure what it would mean to also honor veterans in this event. Veterans, as well as those in service now, deserve to be honored and respected – yet adding them to this mission changes the tenor of the event. There are, of course, other ways we could expland the mission: we could honor victims of terrorism everywhere, or we could honor all noncombatants killed in political and religious violence. These are worthy missions, but my gut reaction is to stick closer to theme of the first event. I am interested in hearing more about what other people, including Cal, think.

I think its also important that this event be neither pro or anti-war. We could honor veterans without going pro- or anti- war (and the same for honoring noncombatants or victims of terrorism), but it might require some care and thought to strike a suitable balance.

SilentCal

I agree with Pedxing that this event should be neither Pro or Anti – War. This should be what it was meant to be: A Day of Rememberance and hiking. My idea that we should honor Veterans is kind of personal. My wife is an army brat and her family lost several members to WW II, Korea and Vietnam. I just thought it would be nice to honor those who do the actual fighting to protect the rights and liberties we have. We all have reasons for being a part of this event, whether it be to honor those lost on 9/11, honor veterans, spend time with your family, or just to enjoy the day. Changing the mission statement was just a suggestion. Now that I think of it, it should remain the same to keep the event as pure as possible.

pedxing

Cal thanks for the thoughful response.
              IMHO – it makes perfect sense for us to do some additional dedication for our individual hikes (as long as it doesn’t contradict the purpose of the whole project). I’ll be thinking of the people who are serving in the military when I’m hiking, especially those in harms way.
              I’ve been following Sgt. Rock’s experience in Iraq . I posted a link to his letters from the front in the miscellaneous section of this site.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
            • The topic ‘Flags on the 48 – 2003???’ is closed to new replies.