Forums Flags on the 48 Information General Discussion Flag at the Old Man

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
      #47451 |

Just to let everyone know, there is a Flag planted today where the Old Man used to reside. Every September 11th since he fell, there has been one.

:flag:

adventure image

WE drove along the highway AM 9/12 and noticed the old man site was decorated with the flag…also noticed it missing that afternoon.Did it blow away? or did someone take it down? It was so spectacular we stopped and photographed it against a perfect blue sky.Thanks for the opportunity to photo this great symbol of freedom to share with others.Byron and Shirli,Adventure Image Photography, North Woodstock,NH

tfr

@adventure image wrote:

WE drove along the highway AM 9/12 and noticed the old man site was decorated with the flag…also noticed it missing that afternoon.Did it blow away? or did someone take it down? It was so spectacular we stopped and photographed it against a perfect blue sky.Thanks for the opportunity to photo this great symbol of freedom to share with others.Byron and Shirli,Adventure Image Photography, North Woodstock,NH

Please post the image if you can!

tfr
            Sherpa John

Anyone know whom it is that continues to ensure this tradition?

SilentCal

I’ll post my pic when I get home.

Don’t know who it is John. It’s a really nice gesture though. I suppose it’s someone who just wants to remain nameless. Nothing wrong with that.

JJ

This flag went up just days after 9-11 happened back in 2001. The state let it stay up for a couple of days before they took it down. I’ll bet it’s the same person(s) who does it every year.

picture here: http://good-times.webshots.com/album/554130783gLhhWH

J&J

smartpig

Pemi Valley Search and Rescue (PVSART) team members Jamie Cunningham, Gareth Slattery, Amy Cyrs, & Jon Sykes placed the flag on top of the Old Man yesterday evening.
                    To quote from PVSART President Allen Clark:

“Today is the anniversary of one of the worse day in America’s history and the worst day for loss of firefighters with 343 New York firefighters losing their lives seven years ago.

The attached photographs show our Captain Cyrs, Lt. Slattery and Board Members Jon Sykes and Jamie Cunningham placing a flag in the area of the Old Man of the Mountain. A tradition that started immediately after 9/11. This year’s observance included a dedication to Cannon Mountain employee D.J. Stemat who was killed serving his country in Iraq.

I hope you all get the opportunity to take a moment to reflect on how fortunate we are to live in the United States and the price that is paid daily for our freedom.

If you get the opportunity, thank a Soldier, Police Officer or a Firefighter for the sacrifices they make to protect you.”

Go to http://www.neclimbs.com, forum, events and announcements. I will try to figure out how to post pics here in the gallery next.

I did a press release with AP and they have sent out a pic to many regional media outlets.

Jamie Cunningham

MichaelJ

Great job, Jamie!

Article on WMUR:
                      http://www.wmur.com/news/17448742/detail.html

Johnskiismore

Great job, it looked great!

SilentCal

Saw it yesterday and had a smile from ear to ear. Well Done!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.