Forums Flags on the 48 Information General Discussion FAQ : I am an experienced hiker, but new to the event. What can I do to help?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
      #63971 |

A frequently asked question is:

I’m a fairly experienced hiker but I am new to the event. How can I help out and participate?

Once signups occur in August, I would recommend choosing a peak you are comfortable hiking and contact the Peak Coordinator for that specific peak. This can be done in the “Trips and Routes” folder on the Flags website. Sometimes the coordinators may ask for you to hike up a piece of the flagpole. Sometimes help is needed for the flagpole setup and help tying off guylines. Some coordinators may have all these tasks already divided amongst a group and help could be bringing up extra water and or snacks for the group. The event is about everyone coming together and any help, no matter how small, makes a difference.

Personally, I always am humbled when strangers approach us and thank us for flying our flags. I usually try to point out any other flags that might be visible and explain the event a little. Most reactions are quite positive and that’s the heart of the event, people connecting and coming together

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.