Forums Flags on the 48 Information Flagpoles & Flags Enhancing the honor our flag brings to FOT48

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
      #48088 |

I intended to do this the last two years. But this year I actually made the arrangements. Since I live nearby, I made the request, explaining what FOT48 is all about. And they graciously agreed it was a very worthy cause. So next week our summit flag will be raised by cadets & flown at our nation’s United States Coast Guard Academy – to honor the fallen of 911. We’re very pleased that they agreed to add their special honor to our memorial hike.

So look for our huge flag atop Mt Madison this year!

We also extended the invitation to any cadets or graduates to join us this year. We hope they can join us.

Gary Hebert

:flag: :flag: :flag: :flag:

2010 Zealand
      2011 Adams
      2012 Madison

Rolly

Awesome Gary!

As a former member of the Coast Guard myself this is very heartwarming that they agreed to do this. I hope some of the cadets are able to join you guys and get to see first hand what a great event this is. I’ll be on the West Bond crew this year. Once our flag is set I may scoot up to Bond where I can get at look at that big flag! Thanks for your efforts!

SilentCal

Just how big is it??

I’ll admit, I’m a little proud of my record last year, but I’d be pretty happy if it fell. :flag:

Chris

you should be VERY proud Cal, that thing was a MONSTER!

HikerFedEx

HECK NO!! I suspect your record 30’x45′ will stand for some time. I’d thought of borrowing a super huge flag from one of several huge car dealerships locally but it becomes impractical to fly it – not only due to wind issues & pole strength required but the diagonal length when not flying cant touch the ground, making the minimum mast height impractical. My original 8×12 ‘s draped diagonal length only requires about 14+ feet of mast height – that’s easy . I’ve flown that from a 27 foot (Zealand) & a 20 ft (Adams) mast.

This years new flag is only 10’x19′ – it’s diagonal requiring a minimum mast height of 21.5 feet – quite doable. But with big flags tall masts become a bigger challenge due to flexing and more importantly standing it up becomes a challenge. I’m still experimenting with options but likely our mast will be about 25.

10×19 doesn’t sound much bigger than 8×12 but side by side it dwarfs it impressively.

I think a 15×25 with a diagonal of 29 ft might be a real challenge but possible- with a 30+foot mast & a good team. But they’re super expensive

This year should be impressive I think, though it’s humbling how tiny they all look in the Whites!

Update: Sadly, 2012 was anticipated to be a very windy year, so we downsized the pole & opted for the 8’x12′ flag the night before. And we barely were able to “fly” it in the high winds atop Madison

Update: 2013 Moosilauke – Success!! Planted the 8×12 Flag on a 16′ pole atop South Moosilauke on the way up, then the 10’x19′ atop a 24′ x 3″ PVC pole atop Moosilauke in pretty intense winds!! Awesome Teamwork !! :flag:

Gary

2010 Zealand
              2011 Adams
              2012 Madison
              2013 Moosilauke

:flag: :flag: :flag: :flag:

SilentCal

Well I cheated with my flag. Someone brought it up the tram and Cannon’s tower made the perfect flagpole. I could probaly only get away with that on Carrigain for actually flying it. But who knows. For the big anniversarys (15, 20 and 25) I would love to try and fly it on Liberty. With enough PVC and and bunch of crazy yahoos, we could pull it off.

JustJoe

It may not be a record breaker but looking foward to seeing it from M. Carter. Or from Lethe anyway.

Joe

2007 N.& S. Kinsman (visitor)
                  2008 Field
                  2009 Carter Dome
                  2010 North Twin
                  2011 North Kinsman
                  2012 Middle Carter

SilentCal

@JustJoe wrote:

It may not be a record breaker but looking foward to seeing it from M. Carter. Or from Lethe anyway.

Joe

2008 Field
                    2009 Carter Dome
                    2010 North Twin
                    2011 North Kinsman
                    2012 Middle Carter

Joe, how did you get 2012 to show up in your signature?? It seems a lot of people can’t do it.

JustJoe

@SilentCal wrote:

@JustJoe wrote:

Joe

2008 Field
                      2009 Carter Dome
                      2010 North Twin
                      2011 North Kinsman
                      2012 Middle Carter

Joe, how did you get 2012 to show up in your signature?? It seems a lot of people can’t do it.

I had to hand type it. Still can’t get it to show my last signature I set.

sdways01

@SilentCal wrote:

With enough PVC and and bunch of crazy yahoos, we could pull it off.

I’m in.

dag

We could clearly see your Adams flag from Wildcat D last year. I’ll be on Moriah looking for yours this year.

Dan Gagnon
                          2007 N. Kinsman
                          2010 Hancock
                          2011 Wildcat D
                          2012 Moriah

HikerFedEx

Good to know. We’ll look for yours! Take some pics if you can!!

:flag: :flag: :flag:

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.