Forums Flags on the 48 Information General Discussion Day Hiking or Base Camping/Backpacking?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
      #46781 |

Based on the Mooseland Grill thread, I get the impression many of you are dayhiking for the event. Just out of curiosity, is anyone camping out?

We’ll be backpacking into the Pemi to set up a backcountry basecamp on Friday. we’ll then head up Garfield on Saturday and back to camp Saturday night. With the length of the hike and the basecamp gear, our flag will again be a rather small display (3′ x 5′, maybe 10 feet high).

Jaytrek57

Basecamping at Lafayette campground.

BTW….very much looking forward to this. A little hard to concentrate at work today…keep thinking of mechanics of a flag pole (hey it’s my first time.

BTW Part II. Our group believes in the “Jello” principle…always room for one more…so if people want to pitch a tent we’ll make room.

MichaelJ

We’re making a trip out of it. Thursday night at Zealand Hut and Friday night up at Guyot. That way, we can both climb Hale and my hiking partner can see Zealand, Bond, and Bondcliff (all of which I summitted last winter).

Saturday night at a location not yet determined, and Sunday I’ll accompany another friend for her 47th and 48th.

Monday I soak my feet.

Jaytrek – I’m using 3/4″ PVC pipe, in 4-foot segments. It’s very flexible at that size, but I’ve reinforced the connections with steel bolts which double as anchors for the all-important guy ropes which will hold the whole thing in place. Cable ties will connect the 5’x3′ flag itself.

Home Depot or a garden/yard supply store should also have a variety of lightweight aluminum poles – as long as it’s collapsible.

Stephen

@Jaytrek wrote:

Basecamping at Lafayette campground.

BTW Part II. Our group believes in the “Jello” principle…always room for one more…so if people want to pitch a tent we’ll make room.

Jay,

The two of us Liberty hikers were planning on camping at lafayette on friday night… got room for another tent?

SilentCal

While I would have liked to have camped out, I usually always take the second week in September off and tramp around all over the Whites on daytrips from our cabin in Lincoln. (sigh) I envy you guys. Anyone thinking of a friday night BBQ? I could throw some Hamburgs and dogs on the grill for you guys at Lafayette Campground after your drive in. drop me a line.

Jaytrek57

the8re

btw your screen name is challenging to type for me for some reason.

Yeah…no problem. Well, as long as we can avoid the caretakers/rangers… whoever is in charge. Worse case…$8.00 pp. We have site 42. My wife and I and others plan on being there around 10:00pm Friday night. Have a friend Sean (and Jennifer) who will be there early. Just say, “Jay” and all will be cool. Wow..I’m a code word!

BTW..have put extra tents at Layfayette before without issue…cars might be so maybe plan on using the big lot.

Both nights (Fri/Sat)?/ We can trade war stories about our close encounters with the infamous Grizzlymama!!!

Keep me posted and sorry so long (time) in the response.

MichaelJ

And I’m northward bound to start my extended hike … see you Saturday at the Mooseland!
                  😀

Al

We are camping out at Osceola Vista Campground. (Hiking Mt. Lincoln)

More than likely not making it to Mooseland, but I’ll see if I can talk our group into it.

bobscout

Al,

We are also camping at Osceola Vista. We’re doing Tecumseh. We’ll be there Fri and Sat night. Stop by for a beer after…

Bob

Al

Hi Bob-

Will do, thanks. We will be there Friday and Saturday night also.

Most of our group will be there Friday around dinner time- But I and one other will be arriving late at night. I promise to be quiet when setting up the tents. 😀 See you this weekend!

Stephen

jay,

we won’t be there, FYI. We are camping on the other side of Flume tonight. Sorry about the late change!

-T

Chris

Hey y’all, this is the weekend for the big NASCAR event at Loudon. Anyone travelling up 93 today should be prepared for some serious traffic. And Route 4 too. Just a thought.

BTW, we’re camping all weekend at Sugarloaf II, sites 14 and 15 if anyone is looking for a cold beer and a grilled steak . . .

trze

Jaytrek57 (and anyone else)- The South Kinsman Team is also staying at Lafayette Campground on Friday and Saturday night. We are in sites #57 & #59, right on the Pemi. Stop by and say hi!
                              Rod

Greg

@trze wrote:

Jaytrek57 (and anyone else)- The South Kinsman Team is also staying at Lafayette Campground on Friday and Saturday night. We are in sites #57 & #59, right on the Pemi. Stop by and say hi!
                                Rod

HI Rod – you pulled up a thread from last year’s event. I’m going to lock it and create a new one for 2004. Welcome, BTW.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
                              • The topic ‘Day Hiking or Base Camping/Backpacking?’ is closed to new replies.