Forums 2015 Flags on the 48 2015 Trip Reports Carter Dome

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
      #48415 |

Although we were not the peak coordinators we usually Post a trip report so here goes. Team Windham Fire and our group of 7 humans and 2 dogs started from the The Nineteen Mile Brook Trail-head at just before 8 am. The first 2 miles were covered in great time, partially due to the energy of pre trip anticipation and partially due to the relatively easy trail conditions. After passing the Carter Dome Trail our pace slowed a little as the trail became more challenging. We reached the Carter Lakes and Carter Notch Hut filled our water bottles and had some incredible corn bread at the hut. The last 1.5 miles to the summit looked daunting as we left the hut. The first mile of the Carter-Moriah Trail has abut a 1000 ft elevation gain and seems to have no end, before easing up before the summit. Our group went at their own pace and spread out a bit over this section. The first group reached the summit just about noon with me being the last to summit with my companion Fenway at about 12:15 pm. While seeing the flag being raised over a summit is special, breaking out of the trees to see a Flag blowing in the light breeze still sends chills up my spine, and I want to thank the peak coordinators for stepping up. We hydrated and ate lunch took some time to socialize There was a K9 convention at the summit with the dogs having much more energy than their respective owners. A special not to the team on South Carter…..We could see your Flag and it was an impressive sight. We decided the way down would not be complete unless we went over to Mt Hight. The added miles were well worth the incredible views we saw from it’s summit. The 1.7 miles of Carter-Moriah trail back to Nineteen Mile Brook seemed to take forever but once we reached it we could smell the celebratory beverages that awaited us and made it back to the cars about 4:30. This is my 5th FOT48 and The 7th that Team Windham Fire has been represented I am still in awe of how this event has grown and is now a part of my life that I plan around. I vowed on 9/11/2001 to “Never Forget” and with each painful step up and down I am proud of all others who participate and make that vow a reality. Thanks again to all of you see you on some summit next year or sooner.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • The forum ‘2015 Trip Reports’ is closed to new topics and replies.