Forums 2020 Flags on the 48 2020 Trips & Routes Carter Dome

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
      #64249 |

Hi All, here is the route plan for the Carter Dome team.

So far, we seem to have a group about 7-10 confirmed hikers for the day, which is fantastic. If you are just reading this and would like to join in on the trip, welcome! The more, the merrier.

For arrival, please plan to meet at the Nineteen Mile Brook Trailhead on Rt. 16 between 7:00 and 7:30.

Right now, the route plan is to hike up the the Nineteen Mile Brook Trail (it’s not a 19 mi hike, don’t worry) up to the junction of the Carter-Moriah Trail which is near the ponds at at Carter Hut right near the base of the Dome itself. From there, we will go up the Carter-Moriah Trail to the peak and do our thing. The hike in via Nineteen Mile Brook Trail is gradual in elevation gain until you hit the intersection of the Carter-Moriah Trail. From there, it is a rather steep assent too the Dome. Once we have completed our assignment at 2:00 pm, we will continue across to Mt Height for some peak bagging, then link up with the Carter Dome Trail and follow that back to Nineteen Mile Brook and back to the trail head just off route 16.

The goal for the hike is to have a flag erected on the summit of Carter Domefrom 12:00 noon to 2:00 pm. With this route plan, we shouldn’t have too much trouble making that so long as we keep a steady pace. Please plan on having lunch at the peak so that we don’t have to stop on the way up (kind of a no brainer). Right now, I am providing the equipment for one flag/pole to be flown. Please feel free to fly a flag if you like – again, the more the merrier. If you need help with ideas for poles or need supplies, let me know and I will see what I can do to help out. If you don’t, feel free to hop in with someone in setting their’s up.

We should plan to have the flag up for the full time unless it is otherwise unsafe or unwise to do so. The summit of Carter Dome is fairly exposed, so just a friendly reminder to plan to be in the elements for a few hours while stationary. Right now, it looks like pretty good hiking conditions, but we all know the thing about New England weather, especially above 4000’… just wiat 5 minutes… or less…

In regards to water, we will have some access to spots of filtration on the way up, especially at the ponds. However, the trail down does not appear to have the any water supply with it until we link back up the Nineteen Mile Brook. I will have a filter available if needed, so not everyone needs to bring one if they don’t want to.

We have several folks along that have an intermediate level of first aid training and first aid kits, so we should hopefully be able to resolve any minor bumps and scratches without too much trouble. We can do a quick emergency action plan in case we have any bigger issues while up there. In the case that we have to get off the mountain in a hurry, there are no faster routes out other than the route we will be hiking. Lastly, in regards to this stuff, if you have any medical concerns about the day, please don’t hesitate to let me know.

I have maps available for the hike if you would like them. If you need one, let me know and I will email you a PDF version.

I apologize for the length of the post – some of what covered I know is “no-duh” stuff, but I like to make sure all the bases are covered. 🙂

If I missed anything, or if you have any thoughts, comments, questions, or concerns, please don’t think twice about getting in touch with me. Emails, phone calls, texts, FB messages, messages through the FOT48 website — whatever means is convenient works great for me! My contact info will be listed below.

Thank you, and looking forward to seeing you all on 8/14!

– Matt Dustin
      603-978-1303
      matgyver15.sak@gmail.com

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.