Forums 2021 Flags on the 48 2021 Trip Reports Carrigain

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
      #64952 |

We started at the Signal Ridge Trailhead around 745 meeting up with everyone we didn’t know and dividing up supplies and flag poles sections to carry to the top. This year’s poles were 1″ threaded plumbing pipes. Much more durable but also a lot heavier. Thanks to everyone who helped carry these! FOT48 beers were provided for everyone that wanted to pack one out to drink in celebration at the peak. My friends and family along with our new friends began up the trail around 815.

The trail started off easy but then began the uphill. Some of us had hiked Carrigain while others were headed up for the first time. Pairs within the group hiked at their own pace but remained vigilant of each other’s safety. By 1130, the group had made it to Signal Ridge and many of us witnessed the helicopter flyover the peak from afar. We completed the last half a mile and made it to the top just before noon to get the pole assembled and flag raised. A variety of songs were played in tribute and a group of women read stories and prayers in remembrance of those who died 20 years ago. We toasted their memory and enjoyed each other’s presence at the top.

At 2pm, we lowered the flag and disassembled the pole. Team members stepped up again and helped carry all the supplies down to the bottom. We made it down around 5pm and enjoyed sandwiches and snacks that my parents had brought along with FOT48 beers for anyone who wanted some.

The weather was amazing and this event went very well. It’s an honor to pay tribute to those who lost their lives 20 years ago on 9/11 and to take time to work towards a collective goal of remembrance. Thank you to all those who participated in any way during this event and I hope to see you all next year!

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.