Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
      #48380 |

Hikers,

Another year we continue to remember and memorialize our 9/11 heroes by flying our American flags on all the highest peaks in New Hampshire….
      This year we have chosen Mt. Carrigain to hike and raise the flag on Saturday September 12, 2015. Mt. Carrigain’s summit is at 4,700 feet. There is a tower on the summit that many people believe is the best view of all in the White Mountains. I hope everyone can make it; this will be a fun hike.

Below is information about the hike, where we can meet and directions to the trailhead.

The hike up Mount Carrigain via the Signal Ridge Trail is 5.0 miles, and has an elevation gain of 3,050 feet and will take us approximately 4 hours to get to the summit. The AMC guide book describes it as a strenuous hike with a number of brook crossings. The summit is exposed and can be very windy. I would recommend you bring an extra top to change into at the top, warm clothes, food and water. The whole hike should take us 10 hours; 4 up, 2 hours flying the flag, 4 hours back down. Please plan accordingly.

As in the past we will be meeting at the McDonalds in Lincoln NH, on route 112, exit 32 off route 93. We should plan on meeting there at 6:15 and leaving for the trailhead around 6:30. It should take us around an hour to get to the trailhead off of route 302. I know some of you plan on meeting at the 99 restaurant in Nashua to car pool to McDonalds. Figure about 1.5 hour drive from Nashua to McDonalds.

If you plan on going directly to the trail head – here are directions to the Signal Ridge trail from route 93 north:

• Take I-93 North to exit 32,
      • At end of ramp – left at the lights onto NH 112, (Kancamagus HW) going past Loon mt.
      • At approximately 22.8 miles take Bear Notch road on your left. (First left after Jigger Johnson Camp ground sign)
      • At the end of Bear Notch Road (8.8 mi) take a left onto US 302.
      • Drive approximately 3.8 miles and take the Sawyer River road on your left. (could be difficult to spot, located right after you see Fourth Iron camp ground sign on your right and then you go over the Sawyer River Bridge)
      • Go straight in do not park in the parking area on the left. The Sawyer River Road is a dirt narrow road – go 2.0 miles. Signal Ridge Trailhead on your right, parking on your left.
      • Good luck …
      • If you have a questions please call me or send me an e-mail.
      David Cormier, 603.305.7921, dacormier8789@gmail.com

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • The forum ‘2015 Trips & Routes’ is closed to new topics and replies.