Forums Flags on the 48 Information Flagpoles & Flags Cairn on West Bond

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
      #46907 |

Hi I just asked for West Bond. Last year I hiked Carriagan during the the Flags on the 48 event with my girlfriend. When we got back to the car she was my fiance. so I wanted to participate this year.
      Question; Is there a good sized cairn on West Bond in which I could mount the flagpole?

Stephen

@Puck wrote:

Hi I just asked for West Bond. Last year I hiked Carriagan during the the Flags on the 48 event with my girlfriend. When we got back to the car she was my fiance. so I wanted to participate this year.
        Question; Is there a good sized cairn on West Bond in which I could mount the flagpole?

Congratulations.

MichaelJ did West Bond last year. I’m sure he’d love to tell ya all about it!

In the meantime, you can see his pictures here.

Welcome aboard!

-Stephen

MichaelJ

Huge cairn. Enormous cairn. However, you don’t really need it. There are plenty of large, heavy, loose rocks up on the summit to anchor the pole and wrap guy lines around or under.

Take a look here at how I did it. It’s a long summit to get to, but a very easy one to utilize for a flag.

And thanks for taking this summit!!! :flag:

SilentCal

Dang, I did Carrigain last year for Flags. I don’t remember that! Were you the couple that we met on Signal Ridge that lived in Indian Orchard?
            You’ll have a great perch on West Bond. Truly one of the five best spots in the Whites.

MichaelJ

Indian Orchard? Another WMass’er … cool!

(Ludlow High class of ’87)

Puck

Silentcal
                No, we are from CT
                I popped the question on the false peak. I looked at the tower from there and thought that there were to many people around. I found a time when we were alone for a little while. She looks at trail mix a bit differently now.

When we were at the peak we spent more time of the tower feeding the grey jays. However you do look familar.

SilentCal

Yes, there was quite a group at the tower that day. Congrats on your engagement!!! Good Luck on West Bond!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.