Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
      #63028 |

Trails: York Pond Trail, Bunnell Notch Trail, Kilkenny Ridge Trail

Directions: Follow Rt 16 North to Berlin, NH. Turn left on Rt 110 West. Drive 7 miles. Turn left onto York Pond Road and follow it 5 miles to the Berlin Fish Hatchery gate. If the gate is open and unlocked, drive 2.1 miles to the York Pond Trailhead. If the gate is closed and unlocked, open the gate and drive 2.1 miles to the trailhead. If the gate is closed and locked, hike 2.1 miles to the trailhead.

Mileage: 4.8 one-way, 9.6 out and back (not counting the 2.1 on York Pond Road).

Route: We will hike to Mt. Cabot via the York Pond, Bunnell Notch, and Kilkenny Ridge Trails. We will meet at the Berlin Fish Hatchery gate* at 6:00 AM to allow plenty of time to reach the summit to fly the flag from 12:00 until 2:00.

Equipment: I have a 20-foot roof-rake pole assembly with guy lines and a 3×5 flag with a 5’ pole. The roof-rake breaks down into three 6-foot sections. This setup was first tested last year on N. Tripyramid. The flag itself has flown on numerous Fot48 hikes. I also have a flag that belongs to my son, a long-time Fot48 participant, who is off serving in the US Navy and will not be able to attend this year’s event. Other flags are welcome and encouraged. Volunteers to help carry the flag and pole assembly are appreciated.

*Some notes about the gate: The hatchery gate is reportedly open and unlocked from 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM. Sometimes, the gate is closed- but unlocked to allow hiker access. An early start alleviates this slowpoke Peak Coordinator’s concerns about the gate being locked upon arrival. I plan to be camped in the area Friday-Sunday. If my vehicle is at the York Pond Trailhead and the hatchery gate is locked at 6:00 AM, I will shuttle people from the hatchery to the upper trailhead.

Thanks for participating!: Like everyone, I’m hoping for sunny weather, although we have the good fortune of being able to retreat to the cabin for shelter. I look forward to meeting everyone who signs up for this peak. Leave your comments or questions in this thread.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.