Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
      #46877 |

Big kudos to :flag: Wayne Anderson :flag: for signing up for Owl’s Head and getting a part of this years goal complete : 100% signups :flag: :flag:

Now we need Mother Nature to give us a spendid day to hike and a slight breeze to extend those flags.

A couple points to debate.

1. Posting on other sites
      I think we should still do this in order to still generate some interest in the hiking world as to what’s going on. It was nice to hear last year “Hey we knew it was flag day ” from some other folks.
      2. On call hikers
      Maybe from the posts on other sites we can get some people to volunteer for this. But we would need to know how to inform this group that a summit is available.
      3. Reserved Peaks
      I suggest opening these peaks to general sign-up on August 1st. We did have good ideas for these peaks at the meeting and we should keep doing this every year. Who knows what next year will bring.
      4. Publicity
      How much do we actually want? Do we wish for this to remain a hiker-grass roots type of event?
      Business Cards to give to fellow hikers at the summit would spread the word around to the core group that we would like to participate.
      5. Un-Offical 4000 peaks
      Little Haystack, Franklin, and Clay jump out as nice spots to fly from. Old Man on the Mountain had one on Sept 11th last year. Not from us but it’s a thought.
      Anyone have any other thoughts? Comment away!

P.S. If anyone had told the planning group at Hancock Campground that we would have had full signups by July 17th, we more than likely would have thought it was not possible. WRONG! Thanks to Everyone who signed up and worked to keep this event rolling along. You guys ROCK! :flag:

MichaelJ

I was working the crowd on Jefferson today! Well, okay, just talking with one other hiker; I forgot to get a name but he’d been on Jefferson during the event two years ago, and I told him all about this year and referred him to the web site. Already I was wishing for cards.

How goes the design on that little display thing we talked about? I want to stock it with some cards, and drop it where we can (Mtn Wanderer?). Anyone who goes by Pinkham could pin one to the bulletin board in the pack room, too, and any other bulletin boards we know about.

This is AWESOME news! I think the really important thing for people to know now is that even though signups are full, they can still participate, and that even then if they’re not participating, per se, they (and everyone) are still very much welcome at the summit.

Outtabreath

I thought it might be cool to have shifts of climbers if there was a lot more interested parties. We could have flags flying all day long if we had enough interest! Tag Team Flag Flying!

Greg

@SilentCal wrote:

1. Posting on other sites
            I think we should still do this in order to still generate some interest in the hiking world as to what’s going on. It was nice to hear last year “Hey we knew it was flag day ” from some other folks.

Agreed. I still think it will be a good idea to spread the word about the event to the online hiking community, as the event was born out of it.

@SilentCal wrote:

2. On call hikers
            Maybe from the posts on other sites we can get some people to volunteer for this. But we would need to know how to inform this group that a summit is available.

I think just inviting others to join the “primary” peak crew will result in some built-in backup. Perhaps we can still consider a “Peak Talk” forum where additional participants can work out logistics with the primary peak team.

@SilentCal wrote:

3. Reserved Peaks
            I suggest opening these peaks to general sign-up on August 1st. We did have good ideas for these peaks at the meeting and we should keep doing this every year. Who knows what next year will bring.

Great idea. Any inquiries into the reserved peaks yet, Stephen?

@SilentCal wrote:

4. Publicity
            How much do we actually want? Do we wish for this to remain a hiker-grass roots type of event?
            Business Cards to give to fellow hikers at the summit would spread the word around to the core group that we would like to participate.

I think your “How much do we actually want?” question is a good one. Since we have a good chance at full coverage already, I think we should keep it grassroots. If the event gets additional high profile coverage, so be it, but I don’t think it should be specifically sought after. Just my opinion…

@SilentCal wrote:

5. Un-Offical 4000 peaks
            Little Haystack, Franklin, and Clay jump out as nice spots to fly from. Old Man on the Mountain had one on Sept 11th last year. Not from us but it’s a thought.

I think this should be item #1. We should definitely open up the sub-peaks to coverage. The more flags the better. We should start a list. Here’s a quick one off the top if my head:

• Guyot
            • Clay
            • Franklin
            • Adams sub-peaks
            • Little Haystack
            • The Huts?
            • Any open ledges/summits?

Thoughts?

MichaelJ

Vantage points that spring to mind are Zeacliff, Mt. Hight, the cliff lookout on the east subsummit of Cannon, somewhere along Webster Cliff, Mt. Avalon…

TenPeaks

Don’t forget Mt. Chocorua. It’s one of the most popular peaks in the whites and should be an honorary 4,000 footer.

Also, you guys may want to consider adding a link from Alpinezone.com to this site. Unless I’m missing something I can’t find a link anywhere.

MtnMike

Maybe the Baldfaces too?

ken

more 4000′ & sub peaks

>>>I think this should be item #1. We should definitely open up sub-peaks to coverage. The more flags the better. We should start a list.<<<

since new hampshire’s 4000 footers are 100% covered ofor 9/11 now… we do have a few other state highpoints surrounding and near new hampshire, it would probably be nice to have a “confirmed” flag flying from some of them also as a result of the momentum of this event.

Frodo

Things are looking great! 8)

Responding to SilentCal’s responses:

1) I definitely think that we should still promote this event on other sites, for several reasons. We really need to include other interested hikers to increase the chance of all peaks being covered. Based on past events, just because people signed up did not mean that a flag was flown. The more people we have, the higher the probability. It also lets people get involved, who in turn will likely want to participate next year.

2) As far as on-call hikers go, the big problem with this is with the flag bearers notifying us that they can’t make it, which has been a problem in the past. We need to emphasize that even if they have to cancel the night before, they need to notify us. Also, what do the on-call people do if there are no peaks available?

3) I concur.

4) Business cards are a great idea. I could have passed out a 100+ over the past 10 months to hikers I have met and talked about this event with. I’ll do a little research on this…

5) The big problem that I see with establishing a list is where do you draw the line? There are over 100 non-NH48 scenic peaks that could be added just for the Whites alone (from 2000-5000′), and if you add in other states, it’s almost endless. It might be a more productive gesture just to allow people to sign up for a “sub-peak” of there choice.

Just my 2 cents…

Greg

@TenPeaks wrote:

Also, you guys may want to consider adding a link from Alpinezone.com to this site. Unless I’m missing something I can’t find a link anywhere.

Already done:

http://forums.alpinezone.com/viewtopic.php?t=1723

http://www.alpinezone.com/links/hiking.htm

http://www.alpinezone.com/links/backpacking.htm

ken

“sub-peaks of thier choice”

>>>5) The big problem that I see with establishing a list is where do you draw the line? There are over 100 non-NH48 scenic peaks that could be added just for the Whites alone (from 2000-5000′), and if you add in other states, it’s almost endless. It might be a more productive gesture just to allow people to sign up for a “sub-peak” of there choice.<<<

that is a good idea!
                          i was just thinking the other area state highpoints only, but the idea of signing up for any other peaks (“sub-peak of thier choice”) would be very good – if you make a list from the sign ups it could add quite a few more flags flying and help prevent overpopulating the popular ones with people that wanted to participate but were either too late for the sign ups or can’t plan something that far in advance – – – neither of the above is my situation – i was on mount marcy (ny’s 5344’highpoint) last year 9/11 for a group called “cops on top” – cops on top was also on mount washington on 9/11 last year as they were the previous year and will probably be again this year(info at http://www.copsontop.com/0203/sept2003climbs.htm ) – i would have loved to do south kinsman again this year (a great mountain with great views) but i feel that since the most lives were lost in n.y. it should not be left to chance that someone else would do mt. marcy this year (since i had four guys wanting to do it with me and i ended up going alone on 9/11).

Greg

@ken wrote:

i was on mount marcy (ny’s 5344’highpoint) last year 9/11 for a group called “cops on top” – cops on top was also on mount washington on 9/11 last year as they were the previous year and will probably be again this year(info at http://www.copsontop.com/0203/sept2003climbs.htm ) – i would have loved to do south kinsman again this year (a great mountain with great views) but i feel that since the most lives were lost in n.y. it should not be left to chance that someone else would do mt. marcy this year (since i had four guys wanting to do it with me and i ended up going alone on 9/11).

Two thoughts:

1. We should add a link to “Cops on Top” on the Links page
                            2. We should try to get some NYPD or FDNY folks to do Washington to also be included as part of the “Cops on Top” memorial.
                            ken

>>We should try to get some NYPD or FDNY folks to do Washington to also be included as part of the “Cops on Top” memorial.<<

washington was covered last year by a group for cops on top (and the previous year) – somehow i was on his group e-mail list for the climb – he left wednesday night with his group and they camped someplace on the way up and raised the flag thursday morning on the summit.

i tried to get more officers involved to do mt. marcy with me (a 5 hour ride from n.y.c.), but most of them have had too many donuts to make the 16 mile trip up marcy. and by the date the 4 others (2 from upstate n.y. with a shorter drive than me) said they couldn’t make it (enthusiasm dies out over time) so i went up wednesday night, hit a bear while doing 70 on the northway (the car still went)so, i climbed marcy thursday, went home, got another car and then went to south kinsman saturday.

Greg

@ken wrote:

washington was covered last year by a group for cops on top (and the previous year) – somehow i was on his group e-mail list for the climb – he left wednesday night with his group and they camped someplace on the way up and raised the flag thursday morning on the summit.

Well, since this year the FOT48 and COT event are both being held on 9/11 (assuming the COT event happening again this year), perhaps the participants can overlap and represent both memorials?

SilentCal

This would be a great idea. Is there any way of contacting the party doing Washington this year? We still may have a veterans group helping out and it would be a great gesture if we could put some kind of mixed group together.

We may be jumping the gun on the sub-peaks sign in. I thought about this idea some more and maybe it would be better if we shelf the idea until next year. My reasoning is that we need to remember that this event is a Memorial Event. Flags on the 48 should be 48 flag displays from the mountains on the list. Adding sub-peaks, will in the future, take us away from one of our goals to fly on all 48. Hopefully the business cards idea will blossom, and get the word out to hikers all around. Right now we have about 150-175 persons involved in this. We need to let this grow a little before we expand to much. I’m going back on what i said in the first post but we need to remember to true roots of what we are doing. My bad! :flag:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
                                • The topic ‘100% signups!’ is closed to new replies.