Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
      #48026 |

Wow, what a day. We really lucked out. We started at the Zealand Trail head at 7:30 with a group of 4 and headed to the hut then up the Twinway to the top of Zealand. (For planning purposes 7:30 is a little early and could have enjoyed another 30 minutes of sleep. 8 or 8:30 is a very reasonable start time.) At Zealand we heard the reports of the Bond folks that had passed by earlier.
      We got the pole a good 15 feet above the trees and raised the flag at noon. Decided it was not going to stay so we shortened the pole and secured it a little better; back up by 12:30. The flag was still well above the trees. We not could find a viewing spot of our flag, but we were able to make out the flag on Bond through the trees. (At least I think that was Bond.)
      We were joined by numerous thru hikers and day hikers. This being my first year doing this I was surprised with their responses. I expected the comments of people being impressed with the operation and the raising of the flag, but 9 out 10 said “Thank you”. It really makes you feel proud when you realize that this is something we all share as Americans.
      We were having too much of a good time so we didn’t pull down the flag until 2:30 – 3:00 then ran down the hill.
      It was a great day. I look forward to next year. We could have had a better view, but not better company.

Rolly

We had clear view of your flag from South Twin. Great job getting it above the trees!!!

MichaelJ

It was awesome seeing your flag with the naked eye from South Twin! I have a zoom photo I will post later for you, too. Nice job!

HikerFedEx

Great Job! We had Zealand last year and also got it well above the trees – no easy feat! (We had to spot it on from a slope heading to Guyot) The trade off this year at Adams was a much harder climb with a heavier pole! :beer: :flag: :flag: :flag: :beer:

saxman

I can see the pole is the key. We needed a better pole, but for the first try we got it above the trees. Next year it will be better.

Thanks for the comments.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • The forum ‘2011 Trip Reports’ is closed to new topics and replies.