Forums 2010 Flags on the 48 2010 Trip Reports South Hancock

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
      #47903 |

We started climbing at 7:45 not knowing what it would be like to carry an 8′ pole that telescopes out to 23′. There were 2 of us just Kris and Steve. The North Hancock group caught up with us at the Loop junction as we rested. And then all of us and some others ascended to South Hancock. Before the North group headed off, we joined hands and said a prayer together.

The flag was up at the cozy summit by 11:30 and then our “visitors” started to arrive. I loved welcoming the hikers, pointing out some of the yonder peaks at the lookout, and then wishing well when they left. There must have been two dozen or more hikers. From the Loop trail we could clearly see the flags on North Hancock and Carrigain. It was very exciting to hear that the flag on South was visible from North.

The three hours at the summit just flew by. I was glad that I had a chance to reflect about the memorial on the way up. We lived in NJ at the time the twin towers were under construction. Our parents took us into the city every so often so that we could see the progress that was being made. It seemed as though every time we went in (on Sunday morning when it was quiet) the buildings got taller and taller. As my sister Jackie said “We watched them go up in awe, and watched them come down in horror.” Reflected on the loss of innocent life, the heroes and their bravery, the survivors and their grief, and the way this country came together – strongly united.

I felt very fortunate to be atop South Hancock on Saturday and to meet all of the wonderful people who came up – most knew about the memorial, but for some it was a learning experience.

We began to take Old Glory down at 2:01 just as the last visitor got to the peak. I was sad to see the day come to a close.

“Day is done, gone the Sun
      From the lakes, from the hills, from the sky.
      All is well, safetly rest
      God is nigh.”

Paradox

Well done!

MichaelJ
        Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • The forum ‘2010 Trip Reports’ is closed to new topics and replies.