Forums 2004 FOT48 Information Archive 2004 Summit Reports Madison Reply To: Madison

Max

My son (Smitty77) and I left the Appalachia parking lot around 8:15 AM, after running into Michelle, Post’r Boy and Stinky Feet. It was such a beautiful day we went up via the Airline just for the view into King Ravine, then took the Airline cut-off over to Mad hut and thence to the summit. We set up a pair of US flags about 11:45 AM, and shortly after saw Frodo’s flag on Adams. Without binoculars we were unable to spot anything on the Wildcat-Carter-Moriah Range.

It turned out to be a magnificent time on the summit, though perhaps only about 15 hikers passed through. And with barely a 5 mph breeze, there was a vast amount of insects, though nothing of the biting variety. We took the flag down around 2 PM and hustled down the Valley Way, and on to the Mooseland. We couldn’t stay too late, and it was getting crowded, but it was nice to see Silent Cal, Dave Metsky, Michael J, Stephen, Jenifer, Alpinista and a bunch of others I’m sure were there but I’ve forgotten. Wish we could have met those who came later.

Looking forward to next year already!