Forums 2004 FOT48 Information Archive 2004 Summit Reports Tecumseh Reply To: Tecumseh

hiker3791

It was a beautiful day for a hike, wasn’t it? We (my husband, Marty and myself) took the Mt. Tecumseh trail and arrived at an empty summit. But I have to admit, it was a much nicer summit than I remembered. (I later heard someone else say that the summit was under rated in the guide.) Just as we were raising our flag our first visitors arrived, a woman and her dog. We finished, put up our sign and the journals and sat down to reflect. I actually thought of that day that changed our world twice on the way up when I heard airplanes. That day pulled Americans together and this event is a fitting remembrance because it also does that. Two hikers from Massachusetts came with small flags waving and said they were there to support us. They stayed almost the entire two hours and we enjoyed their company a lot. Other groups came and went and the time went quickly. Many of us had binoculars and looked for flags on other peaks. I only saw one the Tripyramids. People offered to help whenever they thought it was needed. It ended too quickly. But everyone at the Mooseland was great (hikers usually are, don’t you agree). The staff did seem totally unprepared for the crowd. The pens, name tags and shirts were all great touchs. I look forward to doing it all again next year. Sue