Forums 2011 Flags on the 48 2011 Trip Reports South Twin

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
      #48033 |

My first year participating in the flags event. It was a great day! Spotted a car at 7 at the North Twin TH. Shuttled over to Gale River trail and headed out shortly thereafter. We met up with someone from the Galehead crew and his dog and we all hiked together until we split at the hut. Our group continued up the Twinway to South Twin and the flag was up by noon. We had many visitors over the course of the afternoon some friends, some thru-hikers, someone doing a pemi loop, someone doing an out and back of Galehead over the twins, everyone seemed to be in great spirits. Around 2, we paid respects (with a wonderful rendition of the Star-Spangled Banner by MichaelJ and others), took the flag down and headed off on the North Twin spur. On the way down we observed some damage to the North Twin trail at the water crossings (they are different now), the trail is diverted in places to avoid washouts, but it is passable.

https://picasaweb.google.com/113151684718025230301/Sep112011#

The Gale River TH

South Twin from the steps of the Galehead Hut

Terra and una_dogger prepare the summit for flagging

Raising Old Glory

Success!

Terra greeted visitors in her patriotic garb

Franconia ridge and Garfield (Garfield flag was visible to the naked eye)

View over the Pemi to the south (Bond and West Bond flags were visible)

Helicopter visit

Flags and a 9/11 bear

George trying hard to peek out of the clouds

Thanks everyone for a wonderful memorial!

MichaelJ

Thank you for writing our trip report and thanks to everyone for being a part of the hike! It was an extraordinary day. We had a great crew, terrific visitors up top, nice weather, happy dogs, and I think a powerful memorial & remembrance.

Paradox

South Twin from West Bond at 2.4 miles

Rolly

This was another successful and moving event this year. A great group and great weather capped off with a visit from the National Guard chopper.

Thanks to Michael J for coordinating, bringing the flag, rigging and all the patriotic items to enhance the day. It was great to see Sabrina and Terra again and give my dog Tigger his first big hike experience. I was very surprised how well he did on the hike. Nice to meet Jacob & Peter as well.

My pics from the day are here: http://www.rolly.phanfare.com/5275389

MichaelJ

My photos are up in the Facebook group. I’ll get them added to the album here in a day or two (it’s a little less automated).

MichaelJ

I apologize for the delay, my photos are now uploaded to the gallery!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • The forum ‘2011 Trip Reports’ is closed to new topics and replies.