Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author

sorry dude, already drank the IPA’s earmarked for Balsam. 😳

We’ll be the complete family that weekend except for the mutt. HEY, the kabins have a bunk – You two want to adopt a 9 and 11 year old for the weekend ? 😉

Outtabreath

Chip – Gram,

Gram, it will be good to see you this year too. We’ll miss Matthew, he was a trooper, can you still bring the Cheerios?

Chip, if you want we can bring the same rig and flag we brought last year. I have a 16′ expandable pole and a 6×9 military coffin flag that was used at my fathers funeral. It came out for the first time last year in 20 years and it looked great.

Let us know, we still have some time. :flag:

Check out the pictures from Pierce last year.

chip

@Outtabreath wrote:

Chip – Gram,

Chip, if you want we can bring the same rig and flag we brought last year. I have a 16′ expandable pole and a 6×9 military coffin flag that was used at my fathers funeral. It came out for the first time last year in 20 years and it looked great.

Let us know, we still have some time. :flag:

Check out the pictures from Pierce last year.

Outtabreath, a flag with some meaning would be fantastic. I’d be paranoid that you’d get stuck in traffic or something, though. Why don’t you plan on bringing that and I’ll bring a rig and worst case my Home Depot flag will stay behind or we’ll have a back-up on the summit.

Oo Rah !

:flag:

tfr

@chip wrote:

HEY, the kabins have a bunk – You two want to adopt a 9 and 11 year old for the weekend ? 😉

Not a chance! 😉 😆

tfr

What time are you guys starting? There is talk in other threads (Field, Willey, Tom) of everyone meeting at 8:00 for some photo shoots!

Outtabreath

I’m thinking I should already have been climbing for 3 hours by 8AM with 3 more still to go ! 😮

Not sure yet what time we are going, will decide probably the week before and post it here.

gram

Hello Team Jackson!

A couple of things –
                  Chip, you mentioned you’d be worried about Outtabreath bringing the flag and maybe being late. No need to worry – I think he and his brother left at 6AM for Pierce. It actually worked out great with the whole team on the summit by 10:30. We were all afraid of being late!

My husband and I are usually “book time” hikers. Chip, were you thinking the team would meet and hike up together, or just set a time for the flag raising and we’d all get ouselves there by then?

As to the parking, on a drive thru the notch we checked out the situation. There are a number of spaces across from the Jackson trailhead, and also the shoulder is wide, so I don’t think there will be a problem.

Last year I brought a journal for Pierce, and would be happy to do so again. I also took many pictures and posted some to the website. Let me know if there is anything else my husband and I can do.

Outtabreath

I think the best idea is to meet at the top no later than 11:30, I am usually book time times 2, seriously. We have a few different levels of hikers, some this is their first time so we’re not sure how everyone will do, and a lot depends on the weather also. My brother is a strong hiker and will be carrying the essentials for raising the flag. So, even if I get there in time to take it down we’ll be ok!
                    Gram, definately bring the journal, I would like to see everyones thoughts as they come through. Hopefully, we will once again have great weather, I know the company will be great regardless. :flag: :flag:

chip

Just emailed the following to the group:

My family is staying at the Broken Branch KOA friday night in a “Kabin”. I have a bronze Dodge Durango with a VFTT, ADK, and Proud American stickers. We plan to leave the KOA at around 8am. I can fit 3 more people in the truck if anyone wants to car-pool.
                      I plan to park at the trail head for Webster Cliff Trail / A.T. at Route 302, if no parking is available there then at the Highland Center and take the shuttle or walk. We plan to hike Mount Jackson by the Jackson Branch of the Webster-Jackson trail and be at the summit by 11 or so. We may do the longer loop out Webster Cliff Trail and Crawford Path on the way out. If this makes sense, cool. If somehow I’ve gotten my plan wrong, let me know. If you want a ride from and back to the KOA on Saturday, let me know. Thanks

If there’s a photo being taken somewhere we can leave earlier, but that complicates things a bit.

Realistically, I think we’ll all see each other on the trail and the summit. Let me know what you all want to try to do.

chip

@gram wrote:

Chip, you mentioned you’d be worried about Outtabreath bringing the flag and maybe being late.

I’m not worried about Outtabreath, just about “Murphy” and his “Laws”… 😉
                        The more flags the better, as far as I’m concerned.

:flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag:

Outtabreath

Hey maybe that’s the ticket. I would like to see multiple flags up there! :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag:

chip

@chip wrote:

We plan to leave the KOA at around 8am. I can fit 3 more people in the truck if anyone wants to car-pool.
                            If there’s a photo being taken somewhere we can leave earlier, but that complicates things a bit.

Okay, Paradox properly pointed out it’s probably almost an hour from the KOA to the trail head, so I plan to leave the KOA earlier, maybe 7am. If anyone wants to car pool from the KOA let me know, otherwise me and mine and Paradox and his (dogs) will probably head up together. Whatever works.

gram

Thanks, Chip, for the e-mail and the offer of rides. Peter and I are staying Friday and Saturday nights in Lincoln, so no rides needed. We hope to come down to the KOA for the post event gathering.

I agree that meeting on the summit is the best plan. I estimate it’s about 45 minutes from Lincoln to the trailhead. So we’ll probably leave Lincoln between 7:30 and 7:45 with the intention of getting to the summit at 11:00. The last 2 years we have hiked with small flags attached to our packs – I think it publicizes the event and identifies us to other members of the team.

Only 2 weeks till the event!

chip

If anyone needs to touch base after 2pm today my cells are 203-589-6836 and 203-417-1006.
                                😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀

I’m still at work, but will be leaving soon.

KOA tonight by 6:30 or so… :beer:

Summit Jackson tomorrow by 11:30 or so… :flag: :flag: :flag:

Back to KOA Saturday night… :beer: :beer: :beer:

Chance of thunderstorms later in the day may force a hasty retreat, but it looks okay until about 2 or 3.

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
                              • The forum ‘2006 Trips & Routes’ is closed to new topics and replies.