Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
      #48072 |

Our group will be leaving from Zealand Rd. passing through the AMC Hut and Zealand Falls. Start time TBD.

Depending on weather (and the success of our rig), after setup is complete we may be able to take the short trek out to Guyot (~1.2 mi) to check out the scene in the center of the Bonds and get a good look at our own flag.

We’re also considering ending the day with a loop to Hale, if you’d like to join us to bag that peak (still on our list). Again, weather and time permitting.

PM me or email to wtcobb at wtcobb dot com with any questions.

Shawn D

to: wtcobb and crew,
        Zealand was my first FOT48, in 2009 :flag: its really a great climb..
        I just wanted to inform the 2012 crew, that Zealand is a fully treed in summit. We brought a 12 foot extendable flag pole, and I actually climbed a tree about 10 feet to strap the pole, so that the flag could be seen above the tree tops. Just wanted to pass that info along about Zealands summit, in case you’ve never been there. See the previous years Gallery photos for hints.
        The taller your pole, the better..
        Shawn D.
        Zealand 2009.
        South Twin 2010.
        Monroe 2011.
        Whiteface 2012.

MichaelJ

It can definitely be done. We had good views of the Zealand flag from atop South Twin last year. Impressive as all get-out.

wtcobb

@Shawn D wrote:

to: wtcobb and crew,
            Zealand was my first FOT48, in 2009 :flag: its really a great climb..
            I just wanted to inform the 2012 crew, that Zealand is a fully treed in summit. We brought a 12 foot extendable flag pole, and I actually climbed a tree about 10 feet to strap the pole, so that the flag could be seen above the tree tops. Just wanted to pass that info along about Zealands summit, in case you’ve never been there. See the previous years Gallery photos for hints.
            The taller your pole, the better..
            Shawn D.
            Zealand 2009.
            South Twin 2010.
            Monroe 2011.
            Whiteface 2012.

Thanks for the advice, Shawn! I was originally planning on a 20-foot pole (plus a few inches for connectors). With a 4×6 flag that would give a freestanding pole of 16 feet. Do you think that will clear the trees, or should I aim higher?

Really appreciate your help!

~Bill

Shawn D

wt, I think you will be good with a 20′ pole. The trees are not real tall up at that altitude. We did not realize we needed the extra height in 2009, therefore the “heads-up” I saw last years gallery pix, and they had to bind a few tree limbs to get above the trees..but it worked well!!
              Zealand is a great hike, you get the hut, the falls, and Z-Cliffs have one of the best vistas in the Whites. Have fun..

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • The forum ‘2012 Trips & Routes’ is closed to new topics and replies.