Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
      #48184 |

I plan for our group to start at Zealand Rd. We’ll pass the AMC Hut and Zealand Falls. Exact times/routes are TBD but I will have all the details and what you’ll need to be prepared for this hike. Time permitting we might be able to shoot over to Guyot (1.2 miles away) to take in more flag views.

I will bring with me a Flag from Westover Air Force Base from Western MA to represent the Wing (439th Air Lift Wing) and my unit (42nd Aerial Port Squadron). I do not have a 12′ mast yet so if you know of a logistically transportable mast that’d be awesome. We may need to strap it to one of the trees to get the proper visible height.

Feel free to reach out to me here.

Casey (USAFR)
      AMC Leader
      Blue Hills Hiking Club Organizer
      Random Group of Hikers, Assistant Organizer

Steve H

Casey,

How about bringing along some EMT (electrical conduit) with set-screw connectors to create a mast for the flag?

Steve H

wtcobb

Hey guys,

I hiked Zealand last year and carried up 20′ of PVC to get the flag above the trees. 20′ did the job – 12′ will be a bit short and you may need to lash it to a tree as you mentioned.

For my pole I cut two 10′ pieces into two 4′ and four 3′ sections. I had couplings to conjoin each piece with hex bolts and pre-drilled holes to affix each piece to the other and I used eye-hooks instead of hex bolts for the top piece to connect the guy lines.

I assembled the first two pieces and attached the flag and guy lines to steady it. Then I slowly added another section, raising the pole and inserting another piece below and adjusting the guy lines each time. I was by myself until two other hikers came along as I was adjusting the guy lines for the final piece, so it was a bit of an endeavor. But there are plenty of trees around to tie to, and the trees block most of the wind until you get the flag above the tree tops (if we have wind like last year).

You can see the rig and read more about my trip from my write up here: http://www.anylastword.com/2012/09/trip-report-mt-zealand-flags-on-the-48/

Zealand’s a tough one with the trees, but it’s a beautiful hike with Zeacliff! Good luck, have fun, and the effort is appreciated!

~Bill

RunnerHiker

Bill…thanks for the tips…I’m having offline discussions with some of my participants and we’re thinking something very similar. Only instead of the couplers/hex-bolts we’re thinking of using another PVC pipe that fits inside the 3-4′ pieces snug enough to hold two pieces together. So all we have to do is plug and play and not have to carry bolts/tools with us. So two questions:

1. What do you think of that?
            2. Would you like to join us? We’ll be doing a camp the night before and start at 7am 🙂

Casey

@wtcobb wrote:

Hey guys,

I hiked Zealand last year and carried up 20′ of PVC to get the flag above the trees. 20′ did the job – 12′ will be a bit short and you may need to lash it to a tree as you mentioned.

For my pole I cut two 10′ pieces into two 4′ and four 3′ sections. I had couplings to conjoin each piece with hex bolts and pre-drilled holes to affix each piece to the other and I used eye-hooks instead of hex bolts for the top piece to connect the guy lines.

I assembled the first two pieces and attached the flag and guy lines to steady it. Then I slowly added another section, raising the pole and inserting another piece below and adjusting the guy lines each time. I was by myself until two other hikers came along as I was adjusting the guy lines for the final piece, so it was a bit of an endeavor. But there are plenty of trees around to tie to, and the trees block most of the wind until you get the flag above the tree tops (if we have wind like last year).

You can see the rig and read more about my trip from my write up here: http://www.anylastword.com/2012/09/trip-report-mt-zealand-flags-on-the-48/

Zealand’s a tough one with the trees, but it’s a beautiful hike with Zeacliff! Good luck, have fun, and the effort is appreciated!

~Bill

RunnerHiker

Hi Steve. Definitely like the idea. See my response to Bill below but I think that seems to be the major part that everyone seems to mimic. This will be my first Fo48 event (not my first hike of course 🙂 so looking forward to reporting on the rig.

Casey

@Steve H wrote:

Casey,

How about bringing along some EMT (electrical conduit) with set-screw connectors to create a mast for the flag?

Steve H

RunnerHiker

We will be taking the Zealand Trail up to the Hut for a quick water break and then continue to the summit after that. I have the flag and the pole is being built as we speak (thanks you for the ideas). We will return the same way.

I know all the participants and I’m in contact with them off line with all the details.

wtcobb

Hey Casey – thanks for the invite, but I’ll be on Washington this year. I’ll look for you!

Sounds like you have a good plan – good luck, be safe, and have fun!

– Bill

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • The forum ‘2013 Trips & Routes’ is closed to new topics and replies.