Forums 2005 Flags on the 48 2005 Signups & Status Status: Week 1

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
      #47108 |

As of week 1, we have coverage on all 48 peaks. However, there is still room for plenty more to join the teams in place!

Current number of registered hikers: 183

Jaytrek57

There is coverage on the reserved peaks?

SilentCal

In less than one week! OUTSTANDING!!!!!!

We do have some nibbles for the reserved peaks.

Thanks for Journeyman for grabbing the last peak!!!
          Just think, the first year of the event we struggled all summer long to get close to full coverage. Now we can get almost 3/4 done in just one day. It’s come a long way!!!

Dirt

Agreed this has come a long way. It’s great to see so many involved. I’m curious if there’s coverage on the other new england fours. Any info on that???

Dirt

Stephen

@Dirt wrote:

Agreed this has come a long way. It’s great to see so many involved. I’m curious if there’s coverage on the other new england fours. Any info on that???

Dirt

Maybe I should go register http://www.flagsonthene4k.org?

😆

-Stephen

MichaelJ

Ooooh. I would LOVE to fly the flag on a summit like Abraham or Camel’s Hump. Gorgeous peaks, especially in September. But soooooo far away from everyone else. 🙁

Dirt

Well couldn’t that be the next step, covering all new england peaks? There’s not that many others, and I bet there’s enough interest to cover all other peaks for next year.

It would make a post-gathering event a bit tough for everyone though.

Dirt

SilentCal

We touched on this during the planning meeting. I, at one time, thought it would be logical to expand to other peaks. I’ve since changed my mind.

The original concept was 48 mountains being covered. We struggled for a couple years to finally cover all 48. Now we have large groups heading up to the peaks and a very good internet buzz going on about the event. Why kill that? Remember, it’s a memorial that we are doing, not a game nor a publicity stunt.

Do I have a problem with mountains outside the 48 being covered? Absolutely NOT. We’ve had photo’s from Mt. Marcy posted on the site. But for the event proper, I believe if we start expanding, we slowly lose the true meaning of what this event is all about.

I think a more reasonable goal of the event is to have 48 pictures of Old Glory on different peaks for the event.

Dirt

Good point silentcal, I have to agree with you.

Dirt

Frodo

Well said SilentCal. The main focus should always be the NH48 (hence the event name), but if some people want to raise flags on other peaks in NH or New England that’s awesome! They just won’t be officially part of this event.

The reason why we chose the NH48 is because we had to draw the line somewhere. There are so many lists and so many peaks that the variables are limitless. We also originally talked about doing the NH50 peaks for the 50 states, but couldn’t come to an agreement on definining the last 2 to make it 50. The easiest and most agreable solution was to just incorporate and focus on the NH48.

And things have turned out well! :flag: :flag:

Chris

In short, I agree. No need to make this event as big as possible, let’s keep it real homeys!

:beer:

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                        • The forum ‘2005 Signups & Status’ is closed to new topics and replies.