Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
      #63012 |

So we have a full crew+ and are looking forward to meeting those of you we don’t yet know.
      We have a proven FOT48 flag/pole setup which is easily transportable in small lightweight pieces.

The plan is to start up the North Twin trail from the Haystack Rd. by 8:00am. Book time to our peak is 4:25 via the summit of North Twin and the North Twin Spur trail, a distance of 5.6 miles. While experience has shown this is plenty of time to summit and get our flag flying by noon, if anyone has concerns about their speed over the trail, please let us know here and we can adjust accordingly. We can and will start earlier if anyone feels a needs to.

After lowering the flag at 2pm we plan to exit by Galehead hut and the Gale River Trail. The mileage is the same as our ascent but this allows us to make a loop rather than retracing our steps. Undoubtedly, some will want to tag Galehead Mt. on the way by for the small investment of 1/2 mile (each way) on the Frost Trail. (I know I will) We will be spotting a car at Gale River Trail to facilitate this exit plan and will assist anyone who needs a lift between trailheads before or after the event. We won’t leave anybody standing in the parking lot…

Weather: North Twin Trail is difficult or impassable when the water is high. If any weather event immediately preceding our trip causes crossing of the Little River to be risky, we’ll turn this thing around and use Gale River Trail for both the climb and the exit hike. Also, check here for status if the forecast is questionable for Sat the 8th.

Please use this page to post questions or concerns and we’ll sort it all out.

Thanks,
      Steve and Holly

BHILL48

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the information. I look forward to meeting you as well. I know several people in the group, and some will likely need more time to ascend South Twin. Several of us have completed the 48 but do not hike at a fast pace. I have not hiked this route before, but I am willing to start a group up at 6:30am, which would allow for a 1 mph pace. Were you wanting everyone to hike together?

Ben

jmkimball

Hi Steve,

I agree with Ben. I think an earlier start would be wise with varying paces within the group. Better to be up there early than late in my opinion.

Thanks!
          -Jen

steveR

Hi Ben and Jen, great to hear from you.
            The forecast for Saturday is looking decent and hopefully good enough for a flyby. Can’t wait!

It’s certainly not imperative that everybody travels together, and I appreciate that some may be more comfortable with an earlier start. If Ben wants to spearhead the early departure that’s cool with me. I have no problem starting at any time so I’ll likely plan on joining you early birds. Holly and any other speedsters (there are some in this group) can come along later. As Jen has said, an early summit is better than the alternative.

We can still coordinate car spotting for the early crew if anyone is interested.

Stay in touch, it should be fun.
            Steve

Ashey

Hello Steve,
              Thank you for coordinating the group! I’ll be joining the slower group at 6:30. I suspect 5 or 6 of us will be in that group. If you join us early, we can help carry up the flag and supplies. See you Saturday!

jmkimball

Hi Steve,

That’d be great if we could coordinate cars. Can you give us details on what you were thinking.

Thanks so much!
                -Jen

steveR

Hi Jen,

For anyone who wants to spot a car, we could meet at the Gale River trailhead just before show time. Maybe 6AM?
                  We don’t know specific numbers yet but with just a couple of vehicles we could transport every one over to North Twin for the start. At the conclusion of the day your car will be waiting for you… I have a truck that will move 5 in addition to me and any gear. We will make sure everybody gets back to their car regardless.

I can’t rule out someone wanting to head back out the same way we went in, and they will be unaffected.

Let me know what you think.
                  Steve

jmkimball

Hi Steve,

That sounds perfect. I’m friends with Ben, Christina and Lynne so I’ll email them and let them know the plan. Some of us may carpool. We’ll meet you at Gale River trailhead at 6:00 AM.

Thanks for coordinating all this!
                    -Jen

steveR

That’s perfect Jen.
                      I have a dark green F-150 with 4 thousand footer and VFTT stickers on the back window.

Steve

BHILL48

Hi Steve,

Aside from you and Holly, I think the rest of us are from two groups that are connected now on Messenger via Jen and me. I believe everyone is planning to meet at 6am to start up early at 6:30am. What do you need for help in terms of carrying gear or anything else?

Does Holly have anyone to start up with? I don’t want her to have to hike alone, but I don’t think I can keep pace with her by the sounds.

BHILL48

I have a gray GMC Acadia with NH plate HIKNH48.

steveR

Hi Ben, Jen, and any others,

Weather still looks great and chilly. I’m sure we will all be prepared for the potential summit temperatures for the duration of our stay at the top.

Holly and the rest of the crew will be joining us at 6:00 at the Gale River trailhead. It’s easier for the car spotting and gear division, and everyone is willing to do whatever… The rig consists of 4 easily carried pole sections, 2 coils of rope with a 3rd for unforeseen circumstances, and the flag itself. It withstood the high winds of Madison a couple of years ago so we should be set with this forecast. We’ll dole out stuff to those who want something to carry, but no one should feel obligated. There are more people than parts and, of course, we can switch off whenever we need to.

It’s a respectful endeavor to be sure, but let’s keep it fun and enjoy our day in the mountains.
                            Looking forward to meeting everyone!

Steve

steveR

All systems are go!!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.