Forums 2013 Flags on the 48 2013 Trip Reports South Carter

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
      #48241 |

After a very rainy morning of hiking, things finally started to clear up at Zeta Pass. While taking a break, I was passed by the cheerful Carter Dome crew with their massive flag configuration rigging as they took a right turn up to their peak.

On South Carter, I planted a small flag, along with my UNH Wildcats hat- I have a Geography degree from UNH and do so in honor of UNH Geography professor Robert LeBlanc, who was on United Flight 175.

A number of people were out and about in the woods, including Rob Roy, who gave me a 9-11 Fot48 patch. Just as I affixed my larger 3×5 flag to a tree that was bowed over the summit, team member Kyle (a firefighter from CT) and his dog Finn arrived from Imp, where they had been camping. South Carter is rather wooded, but we think the flag was among the highest points on the mountain.

We had numerous visitors who stopped by and chatted with us. Some knew about Fot48, others did not, so we explained it to them. We were very excited to hear the helicopter hovering nearby and we waved madly to it as circled Carter Dome, where the flag was sure to be impressive, if only the clouds would lift for more than a half-second.

Pics to follow…

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • The forum ‘2013 Trip Reports’ is closed to new topics and replies.