Forums 2005 Flags on the 48 2005 Trips & Routes Pierce (Clinton)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
      #47119 |

We are doing the Crawford Path from Mt Clinton Rd parking lot off 302. Still have details to work out, when to start, where to stay the night before etc. Book time shows about 3 hours, we’re thinking of giving 5 just to be sure! Everyone else who signed up WELCOME! It looks like we’ll have at least 3 first time hikers with us as well. Every year the group gets bigger (and slower).

gram

Hello Outtabreath,
        Myself and a few friends are on your team. We will be staying over the night before, and are planning on an early start. We will have one inexperienced hiker with us, so Crawford Path it is!
        As the time draws near, let us know what you need. We have a good “rigger” in our group, and I know we could handle the camera work.
        Looking forward to meeting the team.

Outtabreath

Sounds Great, looking forward to seeing everyone on the trails or at the top. Right now we are looking at a 6AM start, but that may change. We’ll post it here. Where are you planning on staying the night before? We will be somewhere in the area as well. :flag: :flag:

SilentCal

Keep an eye on the weather if you have many first timers. Just the tip of Pierce is above treeline so if it’s a nice day, they will be able to see the ridgeline all the way to Washington. Great to see this comaderie with helping out the new folks. Enjoy the day!

Outtabreath

Thanks Cal, hopefully the weather will be just like last year. We have a plan for bad weather, some will not climb depending on how bad it gets. Safety first.

gram

Outtabreath-
                Most of our group are planning on rain or shine – that said, a white-out might slow us down!

As for 6AM, hmmmm. We were thinking we should be at the top at 11AM to help with the rigging. Did you think we should be earlier?

Where we stay may depend on if there is a Sunday night post-event gathering. Some of us will be making a 3 night weekend, going home on Monday.

Outtabreath

Hi Gram
                  We will still have most of the group going rain or shine, but the newbies don’t have proper gear for bad weather.
                  We are leaving earlier only because most of us are very slow hikers and also tend to take a lot of pictures. It probably won’t take anymore than 20 minutes to set up the pole, we have a successful set up from last year :flag: . We used a 16′ heavy duty extendable painting pole that worked great. With 4 lines attached to stakes it held up well. You can get a look at it in the gallery for MT Hale.
                  We are still not sure where we are staying.

gram

Hello Outtabreath –
                    Just checking in as the date draws nearer for the 5 of us who are on your team.

You mentioned a 6AM start from the trailhead. I wonder what time you are planning on raising the flag? We would like to be there for the raising, but are thinking more of an 8AM start. We think that will get us there at 11:00 or a little after depending on the weather.

We will have a few digital cameras along, but is there anything else you would like help with? Were you planning on having a journal?

We will be staying the night before on Rte 302 near Attitash – motel reservations not yet made. Those of us staying Sunday night as well hope to drop by the Mooseland after the event.

Looking forward to the day.

Outtabreath

I just want to make sure we get there in time for the 12:00 raising time and I’m not sure how long it will take all of us to get up there as there are a few that have not climbed before. We won’t start raising the flag until 11:30.
                      That would be great if you could bring a journal! That was one thing I wished we brought last year.
                      Still no definately plans for saturday. I believe we will all be leaving right after the climb, we all have to work on Monday. I’ll post more info as we get closer.

Matthew Carters Mom

I just wanted to say hello to Outtabreath and the rest of the Pierce people. I plan on hiking with Gram’s group. I did not sign up as an official participant because I will be hiking with my 13 month old on my back, so my schedule will be a little unpredictable. If we don’t meet you at the start of the hike, hopefully we will see you at the top. Matthew loves flags!

Outtabreath

Hey Matthew Carter’s Mom,
                          Welcome to the group. we look forward to seeing you up there. If you pass me on the trail, can I take a turn in the pack?

Outtabreath

I have made reservations at the Profile Deluxe Motel in Twin Mountain. We are still looking for a campground as that would be our preference. I am now planning a 7AM start time, with an 11:30 flag raising. Stay tuned for any changes.

MichaelJ

Do you know about our plans to be at the KOA in Woodstock on Saturday night? See this thread.

Outtabreath

Yes, I saw that. I’m thinking it’s a little too far south for me. You saw me hike, I need every minute I can get! 😆 I was looking at the Ammonoosuc Campground or Living Waters.

MichaelJ

Gotcha – fair enough. I’m not one for getting up godawful early to drive to a trailhead, either. It’s probably only 30-45 minutes to Crawford Notch from the KOA, though.

Check out Dry River Campground as well.

And do at least stop by the KOA in the evening to say hello!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
                                • The forum ‘2005 Trips & Routes’ is closed to new topics and replies.