Forums 2005 Flags on the 48 2005 Signups & Status Peak Coordinators

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
      #47138 |

I was poking around the site and checked out the sign up page. I noticed that many of the peaks DO NOT have peak coordinators? Did I miss something?? I thought I signed on as a PC?
      My concern is this… I think most of the people already signed up for peaks ARE the coordinators. When an inexperienced hiker or new comer to the event sees there is no one taking charge of the route, flag, poles and other necessary equipment… they may not sign up at all.

Any one want to jump in…??
      Peace
      dirt_girl

MichaelJ

Eh?

The Peaks List does list the primary contact – where are you looking?

SilentCal

Are you perhaps looking at the peaks list backwards? You are signed up as the Peak Coordinator on Zealand and Trevor is listed as “other hiker”.

(really trying very hard not to say something sarcastic) :flag:

dirt_girl

Please go to the SIGN UP page…this is what you will find…Any of the peaks (drop down arrow on the “pick a peak” box) with ** do not have a peak coordinator. The P.C. is responsible to ensure that there will be a flag and adequate rigging for the event. If this is a role you would like to fill, then please select a ** peak. Otherwise, please select a different peak, or return once your desired peak has a coordinator. 😕
            Am I still not making sense? Zealand and many other peaks have no P.C. as indicated by **…that’s all I’m saying… newbees or inexperienced hikers may not sign up for these peaks even though in real life, the peaks have coordinators. 😀
            On the Peaks page I am signed up as the contact person.
            Thanks for holding back on the smart remarks… uh.. that would be you SilentCal… all that restraint in such a small space…hummm? 😮
            Peace
            dirt_girl

SilentCal

I see what you are saying now. The wording is a little tricky and I guess you could interpret it that way. If they look at the sign-up page first, i guess they would see who has co-ordinators and which peaks have open spots.

Does anyone else read this that particular way?

Jaytrek57

Just my $.02.

I bet there are some who signed up thinking they are responsible for that peak even though a PC has been assigned.

Although it will be minimal, my feeling is there will be multiple crews doing the same peak who for one reason or other fail to communicate through this website.

Intially I had mixed emotions about this scenario, you know, you hike to YOUR summit and a crew already has a flag up. In the end though, I’m just happy to be out that day and take part in this event.

Peace.

dirt_girl

Whew, I thought I was totally confused for no apparent reason. Good to know I’m still tarp as a shack. 😮
                  Guessing by the amount of peeps viewing this topic, I may not be the only one a bit confused by these differences.
                  The sign up page should reflect the contact person from the peaks page as the P.C..
                  The ** should be removed from the sign up page peaks for peaks that have hikers acting as P.C. and
                  I think the wording should be consistant from page to page so as not to confuse people new to the event.
                  Good point Jay… 💡 I never considered the possibility that more than one flag could show up at any given peak!?
                  Who has the power to correct this? Stephen? :beer:
                  Of course it’s worth fixing, this late in the sign ups.
                  My work here is finished…. 🙄

dirt_girl

smitty77

dirt_girl,

I just checked the sign-up page, hit the drop down box, and found there are no peaks with ** next to them. Either Stephen fixed the error in the hour and a half between your post and mine, or it has something to do with an older version of the page stored in your cache that your browser keeps popping up. If that’s the case, hitting “refresh” might correct it. Maybe Stephen will pop in and enlighten us.

Smitty

SilentCal

I can put this in the newsletter going out to all the persons who have signed up. I can explain that the persons in the first column under Primary Contact are the Peak Coordinators and responsible for the Flag getting to the summit, being flown, and getting pictures posted to the site. I will also strongly encourage the PC’s to post in the Trips and Routes section of the site so that they can coordinate with the rest of the group. “other hikers” will be asked to check the Trips and Routes to know the trailhead info and anything that needs to be brought.
                      Does this sounds okay?

smitty77

Another “issue”. I see that dirt_girl and I posted a half hour apart, not an hour and a half. This means the forum time is not on daylight savings. My PC says 8:02, yet my post says 7:02. My, the workday goes slow, but not in reverse! 8)

Smitty

dirt_girl

Silent,Save yourself some work…
                          The web magician has come and all is well at FOT48.
                          The little ** are gone from the sign up page.
                          Gotta love it when this sort of thing happens!
                          Thanks Smitty.
                          After I posted I looked again and abracadadra it was fixed.
                          Cool.
                          Now the time thing… is there a time magician?

I will be able to sleep tonight. 🙄

dirt_girl

SilentCal

see knew I should have said something sarcastic when I had the chance! 😉

Newsletters will still go out regardless. We’d like everyone on the same page. Get it!

smitty77

@dirt_girl wrote:

Now the time thing… is there a time magician?

Glad I could be useful for a change… My teachers said I should be an astronaut because all I do is take up space in class. 😮

Ah yes, the time. If I had bothered to look below the box I was typing the post in, I would have noticed the little “All times are GMT – 5 hours” notification. Is this something user selectable, or just the default for the board? Why do I even care? 🙄
                              Smitty

MtnMagic

Under your profile tab, second from the bottom just above tha avatar setting setting is timezone. Correct it to read GMT – 4 Hours. Until Oct when it should set to – 5 hours.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
                              • The forum ‘2005 Signups & Status’ is closed to new topics and replies.