Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
      #46959 |

One week to go!

We’ll be biking in to Franconia Falls and hiking Franconia Brook, Lincoln Brook, and Owls Head slide.

Anyone who would like to join us is more than welcome – respond here or simply meet us at the trailhead = likely at 7:15-7:30ish.

I haven’t seen any photos from Owls Head, but if any veterans from tree-climbing peaks would like to share some insights on materials and such to raise the flag – we’d love to hear it!

-Nate

snowball42

The Owls Head team had a spectacular day!

We were on the trail for about 11 hours total, with biking (always fun with 15 feet of PVC pipe duct taped to your bike), exciting stream crossings, the steep scramble to the peak, two folks finishing their 4,000 footers list with us, lots of positive support from everyone we met (more than I had expected on Owls Head), spotting of the flags on Lafayette, Lincoln, and Liberty from the slide, crossing paths with a very oddly attired DOC group, and one very tired dog.

Most impressive was that three of our group were seventh graders – for some this was their first 4k foot peak. These kids did an amazing job all day long, working hard, helping each other out, spreading the message about what we were doing and why. Even at the end of the day as some of the adults were dragging and all were wet, muddy and tired, Rory, Chris and Keith (and Itasca the dog)were out in front, setting the pace and chatting (well, not the dog) and smiling happily. It was a real pleasure for them to be a part of this day.

Thanks to everyone we met who pumped us up and encouraged us as we made our way along.

Our pictures will be up soon. COngratulations to everyone who participated in this wonderful event. The Chester Academy Outing Club will be back next year, hopefully with a slightly ‘easier’ peak and more kids.

-Nate

Frodo

You people kicked butt!!!! Out of all of the teams registered, I was the most concerned with yours due to all of the recent rain and the 3 major water crossings, but you people persevered, and with three 7th graders. Awesome job! Your photo’s of the Franconia Brook crossing reminded me of what it looks like in April…

Way to go Chester Academy Outing Club!! :flag:

shadowband

Great job, Owl’s Head team!

I met you all at the suspension bridge at Lincoln Woods (I was the guy you asked to take the group photo at the end of your journey).

I’m glad you made it out before sunset…
            :flag:

snowball42

The picture of the Franconia Brook crossing was on the way out at about 4:45 pm. I did not take any here on the way in because I crossed first and was looking directly back into the sun, but the water was at least 3-4 inches higher at 10:00 am. Refreshing.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • The forum ‘2004 Summit Reports’ is closed to new topics and replies.