Forums 2005 Flags on the 48 2005 Signups & Status Need some help

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
      #47150 |

Several peaks opened up today due to cancelations. Owl’s Head, South Carter and Washington are now open. Should anyone who signed up to help on one peak, wish to take over for one of these, please PM me as soon as possible. Thanks

MichaelJ

C’mon folks – you know you want these peaks!

Washington is the king – climb from the base, drive to the Nelson Crag parking area and hike from there, or even drive to the top. Take some friends with you. Do you know a veteran who’d like to see the event? Perhaps someone disabled who can’t hike? Take advantage of the accessibility. From Washington there will be many a peak visible.

South Carter is a *nice* hike. Make a loop by going up over the beautiful Imp Face outlook and down through Zeta Pass and 19-Mile Brook, or go up and back 19-Mile Brook. Either way, it’s a nice ridge, there are views to be had, and it’s not a bad summit.

Owl’s Head is a challenge and an experience. If you haven’t been, now’s the time to go! If you have, why not head back again? I was just there for my second time and enjoyed it – go there when it matters; make your summit count by raising the flag!

WCTDave

I will watch the site throughout the week…if South Carter is still available at the end of the week I will most likely be able to take it. It will be this ADKers first AMC peak. If someone out there is really gung-ho about taking it though, don’t hesitate.

MichaelJ

Thanks! You’re the second person to offer to take it at the end of the week so either we’ll bribe one of you to take Washington or you can make S. Carter a joint effort, always better than a solo trip.

dirt_girl

I know the Admin. Team has everything under control
              and perhaps I’m not looking in the right place
              but I noticed there are 14 peaks unaccounted for on the Trips & Routes page.

Are all peaks covered?

dirt_girl

MichaelJ

Can you help us out and list which peaks are unaccounted? Some I’m not concerned about, like the Scouts on Tecumseh and the Tripyramids. But the others should be here.

Unless the only people signed up are friends of the leader and they’ve already all coordinated so they think they don’t need to post here?

dirt_girl

I’m thinking many of the peaks are being hiked by groups of friends and that is probably why they are not on the Trips & Routes page.
                  Perhaps some people are still firming up plans and haven’t yet posted until they’re sure.
                  Here is what IS NOT listed on T&R page:
                  Adams
                  Cannon
                  Carrigain 😮
                  Carter, South
                  Flume
                  Hancock
                  Hancock, South
                  Jackson
                  Jefferson
                  Owl’s Head
                  Tripyramid, Middle
                  Tripyramid, North
                  Washington
                  Waumbek
                  Whiteface
                  Wildcat
                  Wildcat “D”
                  Ooops, my bad, there are 17 unaccounted for peaks… some of which you are not worried about, right?

dirt_girl

MichaelJ

Here’s what I know / can do. The rest I don’t know.

Adams – I’ll ping SherpaK over on VFTT.
                    S. Hancock – I’ll ping Dr. Wu over on VFTT.
                    Owl’s Head – I’ll ping dms over on VFTT.
                    S. Carter has two people who volunteered to take it if nobody else does. I now realize one of them is the M. Carter person.
                    Tri’s – that’s the Scouts, I’m not overly worried.
                    Wildcat D is Jay’s wife.
                    Carrigain – you know who to PM 😉
                    Washington – Periwinkle is a *goddess* for taking this peak at the last minute!!!

MichaelJ

WCTDave –

I think we’ll probably be taking you up on the S. Carter offer. The person doing M. Carter (Patrick Marr) had also mentioned he’d take it as well if nobody else did. I think the thing to do is put the two of you in touch so you can make it a joint effort to hike up to the ridge, then just separate once up there to cover the two summits.

What do you think?

hockeycrew

I havn’t signed up for a peak yet because I wasn’t sure until this week that I would be able to go up. I’ll gladly take South Carter if no one else wants to go. It’s one of my favorite areas of the Whites and I was just there on Saturday, so I have an idea of how I could set up ;).

MichaelJ

Excellent! Hopefully WCTDave will chime in at some point. You should also post in Trips & Events – Patrick has commented in his South Carter thread about Middle.

In fact, whoever’s willing to commit to the peak, go for it and sign up all official-like!
                          :flag:

WCTDave

Hey, hockeycrew is welcome to S. Carter. I’ll catch ya guys next year. Michael has my email if something falls through between now and then. Best of luck.

MichaelJ

The issue is moot – the “48after40” club and BillT have signed up for S. Carter! Woo-hoo! Thanks folks, whoever you are.
                              :flag:

It looks like everyone’s off the hook. Hockeycrew, you can pick any peak you’d like to be on as not-a-coordinator. 😉

nhhikergirl

I didn’t realize that not being on the T&R meant that your peak was not covered. I am not the Team Coordinator but Team Pokey will be on top of Waumbek. We have been for 3 years and don’t plan on stopping now. I also spoke with Paul and he planned on being there.
                                See you at the top. Happy hiking to all. :flag:

MichaelJ

It’s not that it meant the peak was not covered; we just get a little nervous when we don’t have any followup communication after the initial signup. Obviously with your group it’s because you’ve done this before and have everything all set and ready to go, but there’s always the chance it’s someone who signed up and then forgot.

In the future, we’ll make it more clear that in the weeks leading up to the event we would like all the peak coordinators to please post final trip plans. It helps us, and it helps people out who sign up at the last minute, after any initial group coordination has gone on.

Thanks for your continued participation!
                                  🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
                                • The forum ‘2005 Signups & Status’ is closed to new topics and replies.