Forums 2017 Flags on the 48 2017 Trips & Routes Mt. Isolation Trip Discussion

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
      #60906 |

Hello everyone and welcome to Team Isolation!

Let’s use this forum to discuss our routes, plans, and of course the planning for the flag hoisting.

jh

We have a full roster!

To introduce myself, my name is Jeff Hameed, I currently live in Maine, and have been hiking since I moved here about 10 years ago.

I’m originally from New York and being able to help memorialize the events of 9/11/01 is truly an honor for me.

The attacks happened during my graduate studies and I hung a flag from our house as did most other NY’ers.
        I still have this flag and I plan on using it for this event as it has not been flown since 2001.

Isolation is by far my favorite of the 48 and I knew I wanted to do this hike with this group since I learned of this memorial hike.
        My plan is to hike in Friday afternoon via Rocky Branch Trail and set up camp somewhere along the way to Isolation.
        More than likely I’ll stay at the site of the old Shelter #2.

Looking at the pictures from previous years a mix of PVC, tent poles, and guy-lines seem to do the best for flag support.

I am going to be testing a few ideas out this weekend, and if anyone has input or experience with this, let’s use this forum to discuss.

Alternatively, if anyone has a different tool for team communication we can consider that as well.

Thanks everyone, I hope to hear from you soon.

Gillma31

Hey Jeff,

I was thinking we could use thick walled conduit to support the flag. It would be heavier than PVC, however it is not as bulky. Also with the thick walled you can buy threaded ends that already come in 5 ft sections. Just thinking out loud. The only thing is that there may be cheaper options out there so i’ll keep brainstorming.

For Reference
          https://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-electrical-conduit/=18zujuh

Mike

TrailRunnah

Hi Jeff,
            Thank you for leading this peak, it’ll be my 2nd time participating in this amazing and meaningful event. For those of us who can’t hike in to your camp Friday, self included, let me know what your thoughts are about what time you’re thinking we should get to your camp site, so can plan when to start off in the AM. If others are hiking in early Sat. we can set a start time, as well as see how to assist in trekking materials in, etc. I look forward to meeting you and everyone else!
            Thanks!
            Chris

Rubber Ducky CC

Hi Jeff,

Rubber Ducky (Nancy) here. I am hiking up with Kirby (Kirbstop), Peter (Bugleboy, who will play his grandfather’s boy scout bugle), Karl (Moab7), Laura (Lauraugger), Chris (1/4 mile), Cliff (Brother Buzz), and perhaps some others. Some were able to sign up, some were not. Some of us have flown the flag 3 times on Isolation. We have PVC poles and lines if needed. Also have a large flag we may bring. I always make a large sign stating the mountain and year. We are hiking partway in on Friday and will summit Saturday morning. We typically go up Rocky Branch but haven’t decided yet. My email is nmchugh@verizon.net if you wish to contact us. Most of us are from Cape Cod and two from Conway.

Thanks,
              Rubber Ducky

Gillma31

Hi Nancy,

This will be my first year doing the flags on the 48. I will also be finishing my 48 on this trip. To me it sounds like you guys already have a pre-made rig for hoisting the flag and I don’t believe we need multiple poles/flags. Is there anything you need me to buy/bring to help out? I will have plenty of rope to aid in securing this. My plan as it stands right now is to hike in the night before, not sure which way I am going yet.

Mike

jh

Hi Nancy,

Your post comes across extremely dismissive of the rest of the group. You have alienated members of the group that spent the time signing up for this event by announcing you and your team of 7+ others that didn’t sign up are going to do your thing with no coordination with the rest of the group. It makes it difficult for me to coordinate a team when you’ve decided to sign up for most of the spots and then announce you have your large group (max group size in the wilderness is 10) and don’t plan to coordinate with the official group.

As one of the other official team members said to me in a private message “It sounds like they are playing King of the Mountain, not proper for a memorial”. By the tone of your email, it doesn’t really seem like compromise is an option so best of luck to you, I will relinquish the position of coordinator and will not be joining this group.

Please plan on bringing your own flag and poles as you already seem to be.

Gillma31

Remaining Team Isolation,

I have to admit I am just as frustrated and disappointed as Jeff. About a month we tried to get this discussion started and no one wanted to chime in. Now only a week out you drop the bomb that you have everything you need including your own team. Well I don’t feel included, which is terrible because I would have really liked to be a part of this. As you have stated you have done this 3 times already, did you ever consider letting someone else have a chance? Well either way, it doesn’t matter now as you have what you wanted since there is absolutely no point to having two flags at the summit, in fact I think that’s is the complete opposite of the point!

As you may have already figured out, I will not be joining on this hike. I would say good luck in raising the flag, however you wont need it having done this so many times already.

p.s. I would find nothing more annoying than someone playing a bugle in the wilderness!

Amendelson

Hi Group
                      This would have been my first year doing this memorial, which I was originally really excited about. My twin sister is an active member of our US Army and has come home after two deployments in Afghanistan and South Korea. I’m proud of her for serving our country and wanted to hike this for her since she is unable to do this with me herself. It seems to me like there is already a large group, which sounds to me like over 10 people, with plans of their own for this event since they’ve “done it before”. I don’t feel like we are working together as a team with the original peak coordinator (Jeff who has relinquished coordinator position) to make this an event for all who have signed up feel included. I don’t agree with how things are being handled so I’m also going to be backing out of this event and hiking It separately with a small flag on my bag for my sister.. I’ll try again next year.

Ps. I don’t agree with playing a boyscout bugle on top of a mountain. It disrupts the peace. It’s the wilderness. People use hiking these mountains for peace and quiet. And a moment of silence for those lost is what is needed for a memorial like this one. (IMO)

Bugleboy

Hello everyone… Peter and Kirby here. Nancy clearly stated “if needed” on the flag pole. We are sorry you have decided not to participate as this is a wonderful event. Most years this group has seen 30-40 people at the summit sharing stories of our losses. Some members of the group have done multiple mountains for many years. Taps is used to retire the flag appropriate to honor our fallen heros. We hope you will change your minds and celebrate with everyone as we too have someone climbing their 48th.

TrailRunnah

Jeff, thank you for having signed up to lead the hike, and disappointed we’ll not have the opportunity to hike together. I, too plan to find an alternative group to join for this year’s FOT48. Nancy, Bugleboy/Peter: I took equal offense to 1/2 of Nancy’s email, nothing to do with the offer of the materials and flagpole. Rather, I found Saying you hadn’t decided which trail to take, and not collaborating with the hike leader is pretty lousy “We typically go up Rocky Branch but haven’t decided yet”. Equally, suggesting others may hike who couldn’t sign up – when in Wilderness area, the group is maxed at 10 – what, we were full with those that DID sign up – what were we not planning to hike up as a group? Or were those who were single and not part of Your group on our own. Those are the issues. I’m hiking, FOT48, but elsewhere.

Moab7

Wow,did things certainly spiral out of control here. I am often reminded how electronic conversations can go askew when one’s tone or intention can’t be understood when coming from a keyboard. For those of you who don’t know Rubber Ducky (Nancy),she is one of the most kind caring individuals I know and her commitment to this event is something to be admired. Speaking on behalf of the group from Cape Cod – for many of us this event is personal, as we grew up with someone who attended Annapolis, became a career navy guy, rose to rank of Captain and also lost his life in the pentagon on 9/11. Could communication have been better here – probably, but my experience tells me that is true in just about every facet of human interaction. I hope would anyone who had changed their minds would perhaps reconsider in the spirt of what this event is all about. Now that the weather looks good for Saturday, it should be a great day.

SilentCal

I’m not here to referee. I would just like to know if a flag is going to be flown at the summit or if I need to make arrangements for coverage. I have a backup crew that needs at least 24 hours notice.

Chris

I’ll do a little refereeing. I realize some people have already dropped off the list for Isolation, and that’s too bad because I think offense was taken a little too easily on this one. It’s probably too late, but I’d like to encourage people to focus on the event and not so much on the “territory” of the peak.

Rubber Ducky CC

When I responded to the forum, I had missed your mention of hiking the Rocky Branch Trail, and wrote that I don’t know which trail we are taking, though on most FOT48 trips I have been on, many folks have met at the summit. I am disappointed that you so quickly decided to tear into me, when this group is about coming coming together to honor those we have lost in 911.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.