Forums 2016 Flags on the 48 2016 Trips & Routes MOUNT BOND 2016

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
      #48432 |

Greetings to my fellow countrymen doing the long haul this year to Mount Bond. This is my 6th trip for FOT48 and 4th as a coordinator. I have a couple pole setups stockpiled now depending on the summits, clear or wooded.
      My flag originally flew over the NH Air National Guard Base in Portsmouth, home of the 157th ARW of which I was a member until Oct 2014 when I retired after 37 years of military service. Extremely proud to be involved with this monumental event each year. The tragic events of 9-11 had a direct impact on my fellow military members and I from that day forward. The Wing felt the sting immediately with family members and close friends (Pilots and flight attendants) falling victim to the heartless terrorists of that day. We will never forget, we will always remember and we will honor our fallen the rest of our days.
      So for those few that have chosen to go the longer distance to ensure our flag is flying on a few remote peaks, thank you for joining me. In the past, I took a group to Bondcliff via the Lincoln Woods and Bondcliff Tr., but it is a long trek with minimal views. This year I would like to attack it from the Zealand side via Zealand Tr./Twinway/Bondcliff Tr. Currently my plan is to actually meet at Zealand Hut Sun morning and hit the trail by 7:00 from there. I intend to hike in to the hut Sat afternoon and either bunk there or tent nearby. If you wish to do the same, great, but I will leave that up to your individual schedules. This trek is actually shorter and I think more enjoyable in several visual ways. More details to come as we get into Sep. Feel free to reach out to me with any questions.
      Looking forward to another memorable year.
      Scooter :flag:

Houndish

Hi Scooter, thank you for your service and for coordinating this peak. I signed up for Bond as well with 2 friends and we plan on doing a day of hiking around on Saturday and then join you on the peak for setup and through the event Sunday.

We’re going to come in on Zealand Tr up to Guyot Campsite or nearby and setup, then do the Bonds and back to camp. On Sunday we’ll head up to Bond with you and then hike out over the Twins post event. (12pm – 2pm right?)

Would you like us to carry any extra supplies, gear or redundancies for you? We’re happy to help in anyway.

Thanks!

Scooter

Sounds great, thx for your support. Should have plenty of gear, but an extra 50′ of rope/cord is always handy if winds are crazy that day. Do you have a cell number I can contact you with if something comes up? My cell is 6033120529. Look forward to meeting you and your group.
          Thx again,
          Scooter

Scooter

Hello Team!!
            Have made contact with most of you by now, for those few waiting for the final plan……here it is;
            I plan on heading up Zealand Tr. on Sat. with three other folks between 1:30-2:00 in the afternoon. Will be stealth camping just past Zealand Falls Hut Sat night then meeting other team members Sun morning at Zealand Falls Hut about 6:45-6:50ish with plans to be on trail to Bond by 7. If you wish to go to Bond directly or via an alternate route, feel free, I have enough in initial party to manage pole system etc. If you are meeting us at the hut, I will have a black pack and a black lab with blue saddlebag style pack…:0)
            If you can let me know your intent prior to Sat at 11:00, great!
            Looks like we may see a little rain Sun early on, but hopefully out of the area by 11:00, temps will be hovering in the mid to low 60s on top with 10-15 mph winds likely, dress appropriately. All in all should be a great day to honor those we lost and let the flag fly on Bond!! :flag:
            See you all soon and thx u for your support.
            Scooter

satchboogie

I’ll be joining up at the hut Sunday am. This will be my first FO48, I’ve been wanting to take part for years but the schedule never worked out. Hopefully the weather isn’t as bad as the forecast (it’s looking real shitty above treeline).

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.