Forums 2012 Flags on the 48 2012 Trip Reports Moosilauke

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
      #48152 |

Since I knew I was not going to be in Lincoln until late on Friday night, I wanted to pick a peak close by and that would not be too difficult for my wife as she has not hiked much in the last two years. Moosilauke pretty much fit the bill. Confirmed with my usual tag team partner for Flags, New Hampshire to some, Brian to many and we were good to go.

Signups were the usual headaches but I need to remember that the word for Flags is really spreading and that there are a lot of new folks that want to help out each year. We covered all the peaks very quickly with the signups. Then came the process of sorting everyone out and some last minute Peak coordinator cancellations. Nothing major and it even looked like we might have a window before the foul weather came along.

Brian, Hardcoreidiot, Pucknuts, Jaytrek, Poison Ivy, LenDawg and Sdways (Adam) ended up being our group as my wife pulled a Saltmarsh and cancelled. The weather held out for us and we only got a few minimal raindrops on the way up. We used Gorge Brook Trail for our ascent and used the new bypass for it caused by Hurricane Irene. The Bypass is mucky and hopefully will get some trail work TLC to harden the path.

As we approached treeline, a couple told us the summit was very windy and we would have a hard time setting up the flags. I kind of chuckled because there certainly was no way that I was not going to try. I certainly welcomed the challenge and I knew I had the crew to help out.

Undaunted, We arrived to the summit with about 30-35 mph winds at our backs. My flagpole is adjustable and I can rig it out to a short pole and a tall one. With the high winds, it was quickly determined the short pole was our best option. Getting the pole set and flag attached and guyed out required some thought. In the end, duct tape and bungee cords worked the best to secure the pole for the summit sign. My Flag was straight out the entire time and we needed a circle of caution around it so no one would get bullwhipped in the face.

Met lots of old friends that hiked up afterwards and spoke briefly to a scout troop that made their ways up. We mostly ducked behind one of the stone walls at the summit and caught up with each other. The fogbank never really did leave the summit but occasionally we would think the sun would have popped through but it was not to be.

At 2:00 we made our way to the flag to take it down. My Flag was shredded and there were little pieces of flag thread downwind on the rocks. We wrestled the flag down and proceeded to make our way down. We went to Truants and met some other flag bearers there. We also got the extra treat of the Blackhawk pilots that flew to the more visible peaks today. I really enjoyed listening to their story of the day and how it came about.

In all, another year of Flags in the books.

Next year Saturday September 14, 2013 is the day!

New Hampshire

It’s all Mike Saltmarsh’s fault. He bailed on us, which SHOULD have meant we got perfect weather. Alas he cursed us! 😆

Ahh that crazy Moosilauke weather. Up until this weekend I had been on the Moose 6 times, and the views to no views ration was exactly 50/50. This weekend now dropped me below .500 for the average…..Moose is becoming the Red Sox of views peaks for me. 🙄 :flag:

LenDawg

Great time! Thanks again to all those on the planning committee. :flag:

sdways01

@New Hampshire wrote:

Ahh that crazy Moosilauke weather. Up until this weekend I had been on the Moose 6 times, and the views to no views ration was exactly 50/50. This weekend now dropped me below .500 for the average…..Moose is becoming the Red Sox of views peaks for me. 🙄 :flag:

In my two trips up I have still not seen the northern side of the mountain from the summit.

Pucknuts

@New Hampshire wrote:

It’s all Mike Saltmarsh’s fault. He bailed on us, which SHOULD have meant we got perfect weather. Alas he cursed us! 😆

I dunno Brian. The 2 times you and I did this one together, it rained.
              Can’t blame Salty for that.
              We can only give him crap for bailing at the last minute. :flag:

Salty

@New Hampshire wrote:

Pfft, remember you and I on Anderson? No chance of rain? Then it was pouring? 😛

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • The forum ‘2012 Trip Reports’ is closed to new topics and replies.